Sign in to follow this  
bobnotrob

Password protecting a site

bobnotrob

I know how to password protect a page, but the nav menu and footer still show. If I want to password protect the home page as the gateway page to the rest of the site, am I better off creating a separate login page with no nav menu or footer and password protecting THAT page?

James B
I've had something like this before. I created a separate template for use just the homepage and just took out the navigation and footer from the active tabs etc in the template set up. For the rest of the site I used another template with all the other sections I required active etc. If there were pages you wished to include in the navigation (about us, member benefits etc) for people to see before they become members to your site, then maybe set up a second navigation in the menu section and active it on the homepage using that pages meta settings?

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

Rob
Have either of you considered using something like s2Member plugin to ensure the membership level of each page/post in your site?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

James B
Yes, I should have mentioned this, have installed this plugin at a later date to protect the additional pages from search engines taking people directly into the site... my bad, kudos @rangelone

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

Jenny
If you consider this topic resolved, please accept an answer. Thanks!

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.