Sign in to follow this  
wuei

Features: Youtube Embed to stop Feature Slider, Menu Covering

wuei

Mighty fine evening, ladies and gentlemen. (I apologize in advance for any grievous spelling errors, it's 3:30AM and I'm exhausted.) I've been working on this website and I've noticed two problems with the feature on the main index page. 1) When people click on the embedded youtube video, the feature slider still continues sliding, and the video is cut. 2) When people are scrolling through the dropdown menu in the navigation bar, the youtube video covers up the 'Events' dropdown menu. Is there a fix for this? I've searched around a bit, and I have found something in regards to customizing a child theme, but I'm not too sure how to continue. Thank you all very much in advance! I'll be reading the comments bright and early in the morning. -smiles-

Rob
Well, we hope you've rested up and enjoyed a comfortable Sunday morning. In answer to your questions: 1. You have a transition set for the videos, which will move the slider even if someone starts to watch a video. The slider is really only useful for very short videos ( <1 minute). Anything long is often clipped by the transition. The workaround would be to remove the transition entirely and allow your visitors to transition manually using one of the link options available. Unfortunately, this has the negative impact that people will miss out on the other slides (they usually don't click those options). You could always measure the duration of the video, pad it with a few seconds (to let people click the play button) and change the transition speed to something like 30000 milliseconds. That too has its drawbacks as it makes the other slides transition so slowly that people won't likely see them. The solution I used can be found at [url="http://www.epicurus.com/food"]here[/url] (where you'll see the video out of the slider). 2. If you move the video out of the slider this problem should resolve itself. If not, then there are some other options possible. Let us know which option you decide on for Question 1 and we'll address 2 in greater detail.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Rob
By the way, on Question 2, this may be a browser specific problem as I just checked it out and did not have any problem with any of the drop downs even with the video playing.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

wuei
Thank you very much for your response! I understand that we can work around the video issue by making the transition time longer or removing the video from the feature. However, I was looking for a way to stop the transition from occurring when people clicked play on the youtube video. I think, for now, I'll remove the video from the feature. Also, you were right about the second question being browser specific. In Google Chrome, the video is ontop of the dropdown menu, however in FF, IE, and Safari, the menu appears properly.

Simon
I dont think there is a way for javascript to know when a video from youtube is playing or not.