Sign in to follow this  
karledwards

How to choose between using Features, Banners or Highlights

karledwards

The descriptions of features, banners and highlights are worded almost identically. It's difficult for me to tell the difference between these full page-width sections. I would find it helpful to learn more distinguishing aspects to each section type. Has anything been written comparing the advantages and disadvantages of each section type to each other? What distinguishing uses would each be best suited for, since they share the ability to "display and feature content"? Specific examples would fuel my imagination! Thanks!

Rob
Our documentation is pretty good. http://www.pagelines.com/wiki Hope you've seen it. Also, you should get http://www.getfirebug.com (a Firefox plugin) to help you find specific elements to change.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

karledwards
rangelone, your documentation is excellent. Your documentation, though, explains "how to use" each section technically. I'm looking for "when to use" criteria. That is, thinking criteria for why one might choose a feature set over a banner set or the other way around. Thanks.

Rob
Could you provide us with some examples of things you'd like to achieve and we can tell you which things would typically be used. A link to your site in this case seems pretty much requisite for us to understand your specific needs. Would you mind providing one along with those examples? Thanks! We can't really provide the types of comparatives you're suggesting because there are tens of thousands of sites using our products each with different purposes and uses. Should we make a guide, it might discourage a developer from using a section or function, thus missing our on creatively building their site. By not making comparisons, we've found that designers, developers and even amateur site owners become much more creative, inventive and learn to experiment which results in some pretty darn nice sites as you can see in our showcase. We will be happy to guide you, nonetheless, once we have the link and examples of your needs.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

karledwards
1. Your request for examples of what I want to achieve is legitimate and generous. I need to do more work on that. 2. I understand very well the type of creative mind that is shut down by examples. Your point is well taken. My mind simply works the other way around and is opened up to new possibilities by examples. Your showcase of websites using Platform is a place where you do a great job of posting examples that can spark ideas in people's head for uses that they (I) might never have dreamed up on my own. I'm just not sure what Platform tools people are using to achieve those amazing and creative results. Thanks for all you do.