Sign in to follow this  
krafit

Relocating the Sidebar Wrap

krafit

Hej, I want to use the Sidebar Wrap to carry a logo (instead of using the branding-area in the header). This works great on Desktop with full screen-size, but due to the mobile view the sidebar appears underneath the whole content, while viewing with an iPad / iPhone etc. I don't want to disable the mobile view (its kinda cool). So I thought maybe it's possible to relocate the sidebar wrap (and only the wrap) to appear on top of the content area.

Danny
Hi Krafit, Can you post a link to your site if possible please, I found this site and want to see if it actually works for testing sites on an iPad without having one. http://ipadpeek.com/

Please search our forums, before posting!

krafit
Sorry, its on a local machine so there is no link to post.

krafit
@danny and to give feedback for ipadpeek.com - its not working like a real iPad or the iOS-Simulator provided by Apple.

catrina
Hmmm, I'm not certain how else to go about with this since a live link would be really helpful. Will you be uploading your site to a live server soon?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

krafit
@catrina I uploaded it :) Just visit [url]http://schuldorf.org[/url] Again: in Desktop (full size version) the logo should stay where it is now, in the mobile version it should stay above the contet area.

catrina
I attempted to use iPad Peek to view your site and it is showing your site properly (I don't know of any other iPad simulator to use). Have you considered adding the logo image to a widget within the regular sidebar rather than a widget inside the sidebar wrap?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

krafit
In my understanding its not making any difference whether I locate it inside a widget or hook it directly into the sidebar. Am I wrong? Its in a widget at the moment because its just an idea at the moment. An as long as you use the iPad in landscape mode everything is fine. But if you turn the iPad around, make your browser window really small, use a mobile the whole sidebarthing wants down below the content of the page (which is a result of the mobile view an OK) but I want to keep this part on top of the page.

Rob
I too looked in ipadpeek.com and did the graphic placed at the top of the sidebar(s). I also looked on a Kindle Fire and it appears fine there too.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Rob
Can you create an image of what it's supposed to look like and post it on imgur or any other image source so we can see what you're expecting? Thanks.

Rob
I'm unsure why you rejected that but seeing what you're trying to achieve in an image would be incredibly helpful for us to give you a satisfactory reply.

krafit
So I did a little illustration what it is and what it should be: [img]http://schuldorf.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/whatitshouldbe.png[/img]

catrina
Thanks for the illustration. I'm not sure how it would be possible to make the sidebar wrap full-width in the mobile version unless you use some kind of plugin designed to allow you to customize your site for a mobile browser (for example: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mobile-edition/).

Designer | Catrina Dulay