Sign in to follow this  
jdbrasesco

Improving Communication

jdbrasesco

I just read Andrew's post Power of a Word and was glad to see him say

"there has been legitimate questions raised about our communication"
and that they had
"plans for improving our communication in the future."
The reason I saw the post was that I was getting ready to start a discussion on the need for Pagelines to improve communication. I had looked at the blog earlier today and found it odd that a company that makes software for blogs has so few blog entries. I had just visited the Pagelines store and noticed several new Sections. How am I supposed to know when there are new items in the store I thought? The answer...there should be blog posts telling me. The lack of communication is a disservice to Pagelines customers and developers who have worked hard to make these add-ons and now need them promoted. I just spent hours and hours updating the look of my menu and had I known that Social Surf Menu was available, I might have bought it instead.* *I actually wouldn't have because $17.99 for a single section seems way too expensive. I'm not sure how successful the store is, but I would be buying add-ons like candy if they were priced reasonably. But that's another rant. Anyway, back to communication. I thought to myself, maybe I should send Pagelines my resume and become their Director of Communication. Then I looked at the About page and see they already have a Head of Education. He's working on Docs and Training Videos it says but I have not seen any posts about new Docs or Training Videos in the Blog. I only see a post about developing add-on's to sell in the store with nice advertisements for each of his $10 apps. I love the promise of Pagelines. I love Framework. The Forum has been very helpful for a NOOB like me. I'm getting great results and having fun developing my first web sites. I'm just frustrated with the lack of communication. I'm sure the Pagelines team is working really hard to make our experience better, but we don't know what they are up to because there is no communication. Pagelines, how about a commitment to post more news and updates via the blog? The first items I'd like to see posted are an iBlogPro 5 demo site and some new How-To docs. Thanks, J.D.

Simon
The section you are referring to was added less that 3 hours ago. The sections, plugins and themes all have feeds like any other wordpress site for example http://www.pagelines.com/store/sections/feed/ We have thought about adding email updates, but who should get these updates? Most people will not want an email every time something is added to the store. As for the prices, we do not set them, thats up to the developers.

Simon
As an aside, i do agree there are not enough blog posts, trust me I've said it many many times.

msaizan
Simon as to the question "who would get those updates?" - The folks who want those kind of updates would get them if given the option to subscribe - as it stands now we don't even have option. Personally, I am one of the folks who does want to know about new products as it all happens and I would definitely subscribe to get those updates - and my personal preference would be to hear from PL by email rather than via feed. And that's whole point - it would be great if PL (as part of the new communications strategy) could give folks multiple opportunities to stay connected in a variety of formats - some people like to get their information through blog posts, others through social media, some via feeds, some through email announcements. I am a traditionalist. I want it to land in my inbox or else I won't see it. Mail chimp, Aweber - most of the good third party providers are easy to set up so that your customers can subscribe to very targeted lists - they want new product updates monthly, or weekly, or as it happens - the customer can easily set preferences about what they want to receive and how often - and on Pagelines end - this is very valuable information about your customers. With all being said, Pagelines is the best thing that's happened to me since sliced bread. Company is growing and therefore also going through some growing pains but it's all been worth it to me. I am in for the long haul... and yeah...better communications and training docs in multiple formats - video, pdf's, blog posts - it's an area for improvement. Thanks for the opportunity to exchange ideas. M.