Sign in to follow this  
camatteo

Resizing Banners

camatteo

I have just implemented Banners on the front page of my group's website. wccaucus.org My readers are more accustomed to seeing feature items that are more text than image or media, and with the text title and space around it a bit smaller. Can Banners be rescaled? I cannot seem to find a way to do it within the editing features of the Banner entries. Perhaps I am not using the Banner to best advantage, or perhaps there might be a different post-type that might better suit what we're looking for?

Jenny
You can resize the banners manually using photo editing software such as Photoshop (this is the best option as you don't want something else determining the size of your images since they can distort). They should also be able to be resized via custom CSS, as well as the text and padding. Just provide us with a link to your site and we can help with some custom CSS code. :)

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

camatteo
Dear simple_mama: The link is wccaucus.org (listed above...). I thank you -- I believe I would be very interested in looking at custom css, because images are used sparingly in the information that we present on this page. So having an option to make the titles and text appear more compact would indeed be wonderful. And, if you could advise what file would have to be edited -- even better! I have done little work in that respect, so I'm still a novice in that area.

Jenny
Oops, sorry about that! I must have missed it. What do you want scaled down? "Our Mission" or "Open Meeting Schedule Change" ?

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Jenny
PS. On future forum posts, make sure you don't "accept" an answer until your topic is resolved so other moderators know you still need assistance. :)

camatteo
Thank you simple_mama. I wasn't sure about "when" to accept -- and I'm apt to forget. I'll make sure to follow this advice (it might close off topics too soon!). It would be to scale down the Open Meeting Schedule Change, and subsequent text under that entry. The Open Meeting Schedule Change is the Title box of the blog post and the notice, its text. The other text about that...It's static text and it does not change regularly. I'd like to use the Banner Posts, or some other kind of post, as a way of rotating in or expiring notices as they come along. I was merely experimenting with Banners and Banner Pages, so if you have another suggestion about another page type to use, I'm also all ears. Again, we don't typically feature much image or media content.

Jenny
Hmm.. have you tried the magazine (clip) mode instead of blog post mode? You might like the way it looks better. And you can choose to turn the images off as well. ..... wait, scratch that. These are static posts right? If so, then you may want to use something like boxes or soapboxes (either of which you can choose to hide the images). Check out this page and see if you like any of the layouts: http://www.pagelines.com/docs/boxes-soapboxes I can't think of any automated way of rotating or expiring notices, but you can always just edit the box and replace the outdated text with new text. I have bookmarked this thread so I will receive an email when you reply, so don't worry. It may not be until tomorrow though. :)