Sign in to follow this  
sanderpinkse

Feature slider and 2.01 upgrade

sanderpinkse

Since the 2.01 upgrade, my feature slider is misbehaving. The features are set to "Full width background image - No text". However, if I make my browser window less wide than 600 px, the feature title suddenly shows up. My layout is set to "Responsive with percent width", so I guess media selectors are the cause of this. Is this a bug, or is it something I can rectify myself? Cheers!

Jenny
Can you please provide a link to your site so we can take a look?

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

sanderpinkse
Sorry, it's not yet online; I'm still building locally. I have attached 3 screenshots. They show what's happening when I resize the browser window. That might help a little. The different images above the menu are from a feature slider. The first shows a rather wide browser window, the second windows in only about 700 px wide, and the third is less than 600 px wide. In that last screenshot, the feature title suddenly appeared. [img]http://drukwerkindemarge.org/images/didm-screen-1.jpg[/img] [img]http://drukwerkindemarge.org/images/didm-screen-2.jpg[/img] [img]http://drukwerkindemarge.org/images/didm-screen-3.jpg[/img] Cheers!

Jackey
The feature title is not mandatory, so you can leave it blank. If however you want to keep it in for ori?«ntation purposes you can hide it by adding this custom code: [code]#feature_slider div.fheading { display: none; }[/code] If you want to do that for a selective feature slider: [code]#feature_7989 div.fheading { display: none; }[/code] You have to lookup the exact number in the source of your page. Groetjes!

Jenny
Do you need the title to show up? If you do, I'd love to take a look at your site if possible. Never seen that issue before. Even if you can only make a test page duplicating the problem, that would be great.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

sanderpinkse
Sorry, I was away for a couple of days, so I couldn't reply straight away. Jackey: Thanks for the tips. If the problem can't be solved in a more elegant way, this will at least save me a little bit of digging. Groetjes to you! Simple_mama: I don't want the title to show up at all, no matter what the width of the browser window is. As for a test page, I'll see what I can do. It certainly is a strange problem.

Jackey
I've been trying to reproduce this at no avail. Does this happen in all browsers?

sanderpinkse
It does happen in Chrome, Safari and Firefox (all Mac versions).

sanderpinkse
Sorry for the delay in answering; I was busy with more pressing things. I finally managed to put up a sample page: http://test.drukwerkindemarge.org/ No content, very little work done on the styling of the site itself yet, but the header is in place - and misbehaving, as described above.

catrina
Strange, I'm seeing the feature slider at the very top of the site (above the navigation bar). What do your template settings look like for the Header?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

sanderpinkse
That's exactly where I want it to be. The problem is that the titles of the features suddenly appear if the window is narrow (600 px or less). I also just discovered that the features don't show at all on an iPad. Just a black empty space, that sort of lits up as the features fade in and out. Probably unrelated. Cheers!

catrina
Do you want the titles to show up at all (when the window is more than 600 pixels wide)?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

sanderpinkse
I don't want the titles to show up at all, no matter what the width of the browser window is. That's also what I specified in the Feature settings: "Full width background image - No text".

catrina
To hide the titles using CSS, try adding this CSS to Custom Code > Custom CSS in the settings: [code]div#feature_slider div.fheading h2.ftitle {display: none;}[/code]

Designer | Catrina Dulay

sanderpinkse
Thanks Catrina! That will save me some digging if this can't be fixed in another way. It does look suspiciously like a bug in the Pagelines CSS -- as does the fact the images don't show up at all on an iPad or iPhone. This bit of CSS - added to style.css in the Features section after the 2.01 upgrade - is causing the problems with the titles: [code]@media screen and (max-width:600px) { #page #feature_slider .fcontainer .fcontent{ float:none; position: absolute; bottom: 0px; left: 0px; z-index: 200; width: 100%; height: auto; display:inline-block; } #page #feature_slider .fcontent .dcol-pad { padding: 3%; height: auto; } }[/code] If I delete this, the problem disappears.

sanderpinkse
I don't really need assistance, I just thought the Pagelines developers might be interested in hearing about problems/bugs in their css. As I explained earlier in this thread, the features behaved perfectly fine before the 2.01 upgrade. Thanks for the help!

Jackey
I suspect this is a feature (with a side-effect). I think that the: [code]display:inline-block;[/code] Is used with disregard to the fact some users (like Sander ;) ) don't want to show the headline. Maybe the code can do without that line. Or the hiding of the text in the background is better be done with PHP and not CSS. Clearly a developers case as Sander suggests.

dharmaduf
FWIW, I was having the same problem with a website I'm working on... Know what the problem was? At first I thought it was not using "default-features" as my feature set. Crazy, I know. Turns out, it's not having a link set to the image via "Feature Link URL". Having a link (even a #fake-link) prevents the overlay from displaying when viewed on my iPhone, or simply when I'd resize my (Chrome or Safari or Firefox) browser window down to the narrowest width possible. Sure I could tweak it to display:none all day long, but simply adding a link to each feature image fixed the issue all by itself. Hello mr. bug, thanks for eating 2 hours of my day. Hope this info helps someone else...

sisyphus
@dharmaduf THANK YOU THANK YOU! The exact problem had pushed me to the brink of frustration. I'd checked, rechecked and rechecked again that my settings were identical to my demo site, which didn't have the bug. Turns out, they were ALMOST identical... Who'd a thunk it'd be the link? Apparently, you did. And, moreover, you had the grace to come back and relay it for those who might follow. You, sir are top-shelf! Sisyphus

sanderpinkse
I only just noticed dharmaduf's reply. Works for me too. Thanks a lot!