Sign in to follow this  
dainiswmichel

how to fix comments only working for admin on pages

dainiswmichel

if i am logged in as an admin, i can reply to on pages. if i am logged in as a new user who has not commented before, when i click reply, nothing happens and there is no "leave a comment" form. if i am logged in as a new user who has not commented before and i visit a post, i can reply. i have "must have a previously approved comment" selected, because it's important for this site. however, even when i uncheck that option, the "leave a comment" form does not appear to a subscriber who is logged in (right now i have only tested subscribers who are logged in who have never commented before --- but these are the most important people who need to be able to respond on pages). i tried changing the page template and "custom page" does not have the comments section available when you go to drag and drop page elements/components. i checked hide comments and it does hide the existing comments. can you tell me what i can still try to activate comments on pages? (PlatformBase 1.4.1)

Danny
Hi Dainis, Can you try disabling all active plug-ins and see if this resolve the issue, reply back informing us of the outcome.

Please search our forums, before posting!

dainiswmichel
yes, it still happens even when all active plugins have been disabled.

dainiswmichel
no, and after i resolve the current issues, i do not plan on upgrading the site -- likely for at least a year. and i do not plan on installing pagelines 2.0 on it, because getting everything to work has been so tricky that i want to get things to where the site is working properly and then enjoy some peace and stability with the site. i know this may seem unrelated, and i have not verified this 100%, but the issue may only be happening in firefox on mac. that's just a maybe possibly related post: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/16675/why-would-my-videos-play-once-and-then-show-an-error#Item_2

Danny
I see that mentioned you have Wishlist Member installed on the other post, I would suggest you take a look at the settings to see if this is causing the issue.

Please search our forums, before posting!

dainiswmichel
it looks like it's only happening in firefox on mac. i had someone test on a windows machine and he was able to comment on pages. odd or? does PL do browser specific stuff? any explanation? best, dainis ps: i'll check my WishList Member settings again, but i have "allow comments on pages" checked or selected everywhere i can currently find.

Rob
Dainis, have you considered replacing the WP comments form with Disqus? I did it and the comments work great. I suspect your problem relates to an option in Dashboard > Settings > Discussion and how your browser is reading a bit of code that is placing on your site. You should also check those settings to see what level someone must be at minimally to comment. I wouldn't go anywhere less than Subscriber or your site is open to every hacker out there.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

dainiswmichel
yes, i even briefly installed disqus, but realized that this particular community is a private community and the whole point is to *not* have comments go to someone's FaceBook profile (for example). it's only happening in Firefox on Mac as far as i can tell. i have checked WishList Member Settings, Discussion Settings, yes it's set to subscriber, Screen Options Settings, and the settings on the individual pages. you wrote: "how your browser is reading a bit of code that is placing on your site" -- can you tell me where i can check? -- how is the browser reading that bit of code? -- what bit of code? best, dainis

catrina
I'm not exactly certain how one would look into how a browser is reading a bit of code, but perhaps someone else can provide insight. :(

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

dainiswmichel
hope so, right now, i'm just avoiding using firefox.

Rob
The problem is we don't know which bit of code. As you're aware, different browsers read the same code differently. It's in the browser's programming not the website's necessarily. That makes it tough to determine. You might want to try this: http://validator.w3.org/ which will identify problems in your site's coding. Fixing problems it may find may be a challenge but it might help.

Rob
BTW, PL doesn't do browser specific things, and the comments system is largely a WP function where we're only styling it. We don't really do anything to operate the comment system. Have you also checked the Wordpress forums to see if others are having a similar problem?