Sign in to follow this  
leaven

Feature, Carousel & Boxes on Home Page

leaven

(I tried posting my question on a related thread, but it's been a while since it's been visited, so I'm starting a new one...) I would like a Feature, Carousel & 3 Box Set (I've already created all three of these) on my home page only. I initially set these up in the header, got rid of the space below the boxes, but realized that, while I could option out of these for all other pages, I couldn't option out of the Feature/Carousel/ Boxes for the Blog/posts page. In order to get rid of the Feature/Carousel/Boxes on the blog page, I took these out of the Header Template, and changed the "Feature Page" template to include Carousel & Boxes alos. I created a Home page as my static front page, and this is what I have for my front page: http://66.147.244.211/~tlhvorg/ No Feature/ Carousel/ Boxes What am I doing incorrectly?

Jenny
Did you change your home page to a "feature page" type? If that doesn't work, I would recommend changing it back to how you had it and then we can hide those items with CSS. Just provide us with a link to a page where they should be hidden and we can take a look. And just FYI, PageLines 2.0 has the ability to show/hide these items on blog post pages. :)

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

leaven
It turns out my client doesn't want the blog on there at all, so I put it back as the feature/ boxes as part of the header template, which then I just opt out of for the rest of the pages. Now I'm having trouble putting a custom link on the menu to the off site blog. Anyone have trouble with the menu/ custom linking?

Jenny
That's a default feature of Wordpress. Just make sure you're entering the full URL including the http://

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

leaven
Yup, still not working. I came across another question that indicated it might be a problem with the W3 Total Cache plugin. However, when I visited the settings it has the following notifications that I have no idea what to do with: [quote]"Disk enhanced page caching is not active. To enable it, add the following rules into the server configuration file (/.htaccess) of the site above the WordPress directives" AND "Browser caching is not active. To enable it, add the following rules into the server configuration file (/.htaccess) of the site " AND "The required directives for fancy permalinks could not be detected, please confirm they are available: Creating and editing"[/quote] It seems that I have two choices: Get rid of W3 altogether (that didn't help my problem, but not sure why), or configure W3, but I don't know where to tweak the code--total novice. Or a third choice, but still not sure what. Thanks in advance for thinking on this!

Jenny
My advice is to get rid of W3 Total Cache. I used it once, for about 10 minutes. Made a change to a widget and the change didn't show. Clearing the cache didn't work either. It wasn't until after I uninstalled the plugin AND deleted the folder from WP (via FTP) that the change finally showed. So you now know my personal opinion on it. ;)

leaven
Thanks. Is there a cache plugin that you would recommend? Also, I don't know what I did, but the problems is fixed now. Honestly, I think I had to just step away from it and come back. :)

Jenny
Honestly, I'm a bad person to ask about caching plugins. I think they are the devil. :D If you want suggestions, you may want to start a new thread with the question. And sometimes.. walking away and coming back is the quickest way to solve a problem. hehe