Sign in to follow this  
jaked

Customize plugin kb confusion

jaked

I'm confused by the language used to describe the difference between using the Pagelines Customize plugin vs. Child Theme(s). From the kb found here:http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Use_the_PageLines_Customize_Plugin:

"The advantage of the Child Theme is that you can customize PageLines 2.0 core sections without losing any edits when you update the core. The disadvantage is that you can't then install a 3rd party child theme through the store and update it, as you will lose your edits."
"The advantage of the PageLines Customize Plugin is that you can update the core files and a 3rd party child theme and still keep your edits. The disadvantage is that sections folder isn't scanned in to the plugin. So any changes you make to the core sections will be lost when updating."
1 - In the first quote above, is the term "core" referring to Wordpress files, or the Pagelines Framework 2.0 files (is it meant to mean updating wordpress or updating the framework?) 2 - Why can I update my own child theme and not lose "core section edits" but if I use a 3rd party child theme I will lose "core section edits"? 3 - In the second example, the term "core sections" is used. How do these differ from "core files" - what exactly will be lost upon updating? My previous understanding is that one would need to edit core files to make a change to core "sections" So, what's a "core file", whats a "core section" and why is editing and updating my own child theme persistant while editing and updating someone else's not? Answers including tangible examples would be fantastic. Thanks

Danny
Hi Jaked, OK, I will try to answer your questions as specific as possible. Anything inside the PageLines Framework folder, that you upload to "/wp-content/themes/" is basically considered core. These files should not be touches in any shape or form unless you know what you're doing. The reason for this : 1. If you don't know what you're doing, you will mostly completely destroy your website. 2. If you do know what you're doing and make changes to the core files, core sections, when an update is available to the theme/framework, these changes will be stripped, removed with the update files. Therefore it is recommended that you use either a child theme or the PageLines customise plug-in, as when an update is available for the parent theme/framework. This update will not effect your child theme changes. The PageLines Child theme (Base) which can be downloaded from the PageLines store within your Wordpress installation should only be used for developers to create new child themes to be sold on the PageLines store. If you plan on using the PageLines Framework for personal use, then we recommend the PageLines customise plug-in. The reason for this is that Wordpress doesn't support grandchild themes. So.... Personal use = PageLines Customise plugin Developer wanting to create numerous child themes = Base Child theme. You can of course use either for personal use, this is entirely up to you. I hope this answers your questions.

Please search our forums, before posting!