Sign in to follow this  
starlit

Add or remove tags while viewing a post as a subscriber

starlit

Hi, I have a need to allow subscriber users (viewers of my private blog) to add and remove tags in my blog post. For example, I'd like them to be able to mark a particular post as a "favorite" simply by adding a "favorite" tag while viewing the post. Being subscribers, I don't want them to be able to edit the post using the admin panel. Is there a plugin / widget that does this already? Can I easily add some template tags to a platformpro child theme to enable this? I would want users to check or uncheck tags from a list of available tags and click "update". I do not require them to be able to type/add entirely new tags, just select tags from my pre-constructed list. Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers!

catrina
I don't know of any plugin off the top of my head, but I'm quite certain I've seen this feature on a WordPress blog. You can search the WordPress plugin directory: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

starlit
Thank you. I've searched the plugin directory but came up short. Perhaps the wrong search terms. Any chance you remember the blog where you saw this feature in use? I suspect that I may need to extend platform base child theme with some changes to the html that is output using the "*tag*" template tags. I aim to also display this information in the (manual) excerpt of each post.

Rob
Happy New Year! I think your search is being hampered by a search for one plugin that does it all. Because your aim is multi-faceted, then the plugin search must also be so, hence you need more than one plugin to achieve the goals. Let's start with membership. A good plugin that is always updated is s2Member. This handles visitor membership at various levels from free to paid. It interacts with PayPal and Authorize.net if you want paid premium membership. There are some excellent bookmark or favorites plugins to handle that aspect of your goals. You could include this only on posts/pages that premium or registered members can access. There are also plugins which limit the dashboard so that only specific things are viewable by members of various levels. I'm unsure about a plugin that let's people write tags however, you could probably use something like FastSecure Form to create a custom form so that people may "Suggest" tags. Why this model? Well, if you open your tags even to members, you may well find the worst possible tags you could imagine in your posts, potentially making your site be banned by some. While I know that membership should prevent that, there's no guarantee that people who are dissatisfied with something will not post bad terms in the tags. Using a form gives you the chance to moderate that.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur