Sign in to follow this  
jaked

Customize Plugin vs. Child Theme or what are Core Files and Core Sections?

jaked

I read the new how-to, and am confused by the language used to describe the difference between using the Pagelines Customize plugin or the PlatformPro Base Customization Child Theme (I assume this is what's meant by "Child Theme").

"The advantage of the Child Theme is that you can customize PageLines 2.0 core sections without losing any edits when you update the core. The disadvantage is that you can't then install a 3rd party child theme through the store and update it, as you will lose your edits."
That option doesn't sound like much fun...
"The advantage of the PageLines Customize Plugin is that you can update the core files and a 3rd party child theme and still keep your edits. The disadvantage is that sections folder isn't scanned in to the plugin. So any changes you make to the core sections will be lost when updating."
Now I'm lost. I'd like to be able to play with templates from the store ("child themes"?) What are the Core Files in relation to the Core Sections, and what exactly will be lost when updating the Core Framework? My assumption until now was that Core Files were the code which rendered Core Sections; ie. to change Core Sections one would edit Core Files. Clarification will be gratefully accepted, especially with tangible examples if possible. Or simply a link to the explanation if it exists somewhere in the Pagelines site - my search yielded nothing, but I'm not familiar with this proprietary language so I could very well be searching the wrong terms. Thanks!

Danny
Hi Jaked, You have posted this question in the Platform Pro category. Therefore, you seem to be confused. As the PageLines Customise plug-in can only be used with PageLines Framework 2.0 and not Platform Pro. If you want to make changes to any files in Platform Pro, you need to use Platform Base Child theme. Core files are files that are located in the parent theme, you're free to make any changes you like to these files. However, if/when an update is made to that parent theme, all your custom code, CSS and other edits will be overwritten by the update. This is why we recommend using a Child theme, as an update to the parent theme has no effect to the child theme. I have posted you a link to the Wordpress codex on what child themes are. http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

Please search our forums, before posting!

jaked
Thanks Danny, How I ended up confused was when trying to determine how to move from working with Platform Pro to "Pagelines Framework 2.0", so I opted to post here, seeing as the questions would logically be more to do with how the old system works compared to v2.0 I had only just started learning Pro when v2 was released, so I can't claim a full understanding of Pagelines Framework or Platform Pro. I opted to wait for the new release rather than dedicating time to Platform Pro. Your link was helpful clearing up any ambiguity regarding child themes, I see it's not a Pagelines feature, but a WP feature. However, my confusion about the plugin vs. child themes remains: I have no idea what they're talking about. Both paragraphs in the kb contain two sentences, both with the second sentence contradicting the first, at least to someone not familiar with the system. I'll repost in a more appropriate forum category.

Danny
I replied to your other post, I will close this thread for you.

Please search our forums, before posting!