Sign in to follow this  
israelgenealogy

Default image for Facebook

israelgenealogy

There's a way to set the favicon, and the image that iPhone uses for your site, but how about a way to set the default image to use when someone shares something from your site on Facebook? There are various ways of doing this, but it would be nice if this was baked into PageLines like the other image settings. Maybe I missed that somewhere?

Danny
Hi, I don't personally use Facebook, would you be able to provide a link to an example so I can understand what you mean please.

Please search our forums, before posting!

israelgenealogy
On just about every blog there now are sharing buttons for Facebook, Twitter, etc. If you click on the 'Share on Facebook' button it sends you to a page on Facebook that lets you post a link to the post you are reading, and add a comment. If there are images on the page, it will try to pick one, and then if more are detected, give you the option to select which one will be the thumbnail for the post on Facebook. For example, here's a page on Pageline's own blog: http://www.pagelines.com/pagelines-reviews/ If you scroll down to the bottom you'll see the share buttons for Reddit, Facebook, Twitter and Delicious. If you click on the Facebook button and are logged into Facebook, it will allow you to add a status update with a link to the post. Sometimes it's good at figuring out the right images on the page to select, but sometimes not. There is info online on how to figure out what it selects. Certainly one of the choices should be the Default Image of the post (I have no idea if WordPress itself makes that image known to Facebook), but if there is no default image, then I think it's important that PageLines would offer an image for Facebook to use (which one could specify in the setting like the Apple Touch image). Indeed, some sites force an image to always be used, and a checkbox next to the image that forced it to always be used would also be a nice feature.

Simon
The plugin providing the facebook button should really provide this kind of feature.

israelgenealogy
Most Facebook sharing buttons are just links, like the one you use on your own site. Facebook itself looks at the site and grabs the image. Ideally thus the image should be specified in advance. If anything WordPress itself should be doing this, but as PageLines is building a framework on top of WP, and you already specify Favicon, Apple Touch icon, etc. then it seemed logical to ask you...

Danny
Hi, I did a search and found the following articles, I haven't tested them personally but there is no harm in trying them out yourself, the worst that could happen is that they don't work. http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150168297013989 http://www.terabug.com/set-default-image-for-facebook-share-wordpress/ Your correct that this should really be part of Wordpress, or at least there should be a plug-in that offers this functionality.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Michael Miles
In past experience, Facebook looks for available images on the page that is liked/shared. If there are multiple, the person sharing can choose one. But! If the images on the site are to LARGE, then it will use a default image. I don't know off hand what the limits are, meaning if it pixel sides per side or image size in terms of Kilobytes (KB) (hopefully not Megs! ;) I always have had success by having a Featured Image set with 170x170 in dimensions.

Jenny
Most Facebook plugins do this automatically. If yours doesn't, find another one. :) as Michael stated above, adding a featured image is usually the trick to get Facebook to pull the image. It's usually the first to appear in the list on FB.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

admin_nd
I use large featured images (400px wide) because of the slider on my home page. So, "facebook likes" are defaulting to random small images. I want to try Danny's suggestion above, but can't locate "custom fields" in my "edit posts" pages. I'm using Frameworks.

catrina
On using Custom Fields in Framework: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/16605/show-custom-fields-pagelines-2.0/p1

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse