Sign in to follow this  
slingr

What can cause text widgets to disappear, and then refuse to display in footer?

slingr

I'm developing my first multisite in PLF - www.a2sf.net. I have about 130 posts that I've transferred over from a previous site, with a lot of cross links, i.e., links inside of posts referencing other posts. I'm working only on the primary domain site, no sub-domain sites exist yet. Last night I left it in good shape, although all the internal links retained the absolute references to the previous site. Rather than take the time to manually find and change those absolute references (old domain name to new domain name), I found a plugin - Search&Replace - that sounded perfect. I tested it on my local installation and it worked just fine. I installed it on my live site and it worked just fine. But this evening I went back to do some other work and noticed that somehow all of my text widgets in both the sidebar and the footer were gone. The built-in widgets were there, but the text widgets were gone. I can only surmise it had something to do with the plugin. So I re-created those text widgets and now something else weird is going on with the 5-col footer. I can create the first 4 okay, but when I try to add the fifth, it displays UNDER the 4th column. This happens when I try to add text widgets or pre-defined widgets, like the Meta. This behavior occurs when I set the number of footer columns to either 5 or 6. When I set it to 4, the first four show correctly by themselves, but it's like there's a hex on the fifth column when I try to add it. And yes, I'm certain the widget stands alone at the bottom of the Footer Columns Sidebar, it's not inside the fourth widget area. Any ideas what could be causing this? Am I right to suspect the plugin? Is it possible the plugin could've corrupted the database somehow such that it's affecting the widgets? Or could the squirrelly widget behavior be attributed to WP 3.3, or PLF?

Danny
Hi Slingr, This is pretty strange, I looked at your code and as you can see below the meta widget appears to be inside the text widget ? [code]

Quick Links

Meta

[/code] Have you tried disabling all your plug-ins and refresh your page to see if the issue is resolve ? Can you check the HTML for the quick links to see if there is any error ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

slingr
Cuss word, cuss word, cuss word. Thanks, Danny ... I had left off the closing bracket to close the ul. Argghhh! Any thoughts on what could've been responsible for deleting all my text widgets - the first problem? (other than operator error, of course)

Rob
If something's amiss in a text widget and it fails, WordPress seeing that it doesn't work will automatically delete it, responding to the error. I'm sure you've noticed that WP doesn't display any broken sidebar widgets. Text errors like bad grammar, yes, but actual coding errors it disables.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

slingr
But in my case there weren't any errors because all the other text widgets were there the first night. And in fact, the problem I created with the left-off closing bracket occurred when I was re-creating that widget. And again, the initial problem wasn't just one text widget ... I lost two in the sidebar and four in the footer. That's why I surmised that something must've gone wrong with the Search&Replace plugin. If it contributed to an error in the text widgets, I understand what you're saying.