Sign in to follow this  
owi_dv

Moving Blog in Primary Navigation Order

owi_dv

I'm designing a website in which I'd like to use a feature page as the main/index page. I'd still like to use the blog, but I want move it further down the order in primary navigation. Seems like this would be a task that many other users have to face, but I'm having trouble finding a solution in the forum. Help! Dave

Rob
Dave, please provide a link to your site. To be clear, you wish to use the Feature Page template on a static homepage and still have blog posts on that same page, or, do you wish to have a separate blog page listed on the menu, somewhere after let's say, a Home link? Let me know which of these you prefer and I'll happily guide you through the process.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

owi_dv
The link to the site is [url="http://www.oregonwildlife.org/wp/"]www.oregonwildlife.org/wp/[/url]. It's still very much a work in progress. Yes, I'm trying to use a feature template page as a static homepage and have a separate page for the blog. You will see that I've already added a new page for the blog, although I would like this draft to have all the features of the current blog/home page. I hope I'm making this clear!

Rob
The blog page is like a static homepage, in that you select a template to use on it. If you wish the blog page to have a feature slider, just select the feature page template and make sure it contains the elements you wish to use. Additionally, make sure you also edit the content area for the blog page (an option in PageLines Framework) which lets you eliminate the comment area. Obviously, you would not wish a blog page to have comments, only on the blog posts. Best practice is to go to Dashboard > Settings > Reading and select the blog page created as the "Posts page" after selecting "A static page". Your homepage may also include a feature slider, boxes, or other elements, but will not automatically include blog posts. Save your homepage on the first line as "Front page". Unlike the blog page, you can add anything you wish in the text area. The best practice is to make a menu link in your menu for "Home" leading to the new homepage, and one for "Blog" which you have done. Obviously, you're on the right path.

owi_dv
I must have looked around the dashboard for 2 hours without figuring out how to do that until you pointed out the solution to me. Thank you!

Rob
No problem.