Sign in to follow this  
chasenet

Header questions (ad placement & social icons move)

chasenet

Hi folks Can anyone point me at easy (or as easy as possible) instructions to being able to place content - such as an ad but potentially anything - in the space to the right of my logo in the header. See here: http://www.englishstandard.co/images/banner-ad.jpg'>http://www.englishstandard.co/images/banner-ad.jpg for what I mean Prototype site here: http://www.englishstandard.co I've looked through the forum and seen some really complicated looking instructions on something similar but that was for platformPro - does that apply to the framework or is there a new wonderfully simple way of doing this? **** Also is it possible to move the social icons out of the default area and into the secondarynav for instance? Like in this mock-up? http://www.englishstandard.co/images/social-moved.jpg All help gratefully appreciated :) ASh

Rob
Well, I can walk you through it, but I cannot guarantee this is going to be particularly easy. First, you'll need to make sure that you have PageLines Customize plugin installed. Second, you need to FTP into wp-content/plugins/pagelines-customize and CHMOD to 777 two files; style.css and functions.php. With that done, we need to determine what content you wish to add to the branding area. For demonstration purposes, we're going to use a leaderboard ad from Google Adsense. Here's the code you add to the end of functions.php by going to Dashboard > PageLines > Child Editor or, Dashboard > Plugins > Editor and selecting PageLines Customize then functions.php. [code] // add_action('hook_name','function name'); // ---> uncomment to load add_action('pagelines_inside_top_branding', 'google_leaderboard_ad'); // function name function google_leaderboard_ad(){ ?>
with your own code from the ad source you're working with. Save the file. Then, via the same route you selected to reach functions.php, go to style.css. There, you're going to insert the following code: [code]div.leaderboard {float: right;}[/code] which ensures that your ad aligns to the right of the branding logo. And.. you'll add [code]#branding .content-pad {padding: 20px 0px 24px;}[/code] and adjust the numbers according to your site's measurements. Save the file. Now look at your site in a different browser (to ensure that the cache is not holding it back). Let us know how this goes.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

chasenet
Thanks that really helps. I have the Customization plugin installed and activated but this option "Dashboard > PageLines > Child Editor" doesn't appear - PageLines pro rather than the framework I take it? Can I do the necessary file changes in Dreamweaver outside WP all together? Would seem better as it's easy to create a back up that way.

chasenet
Talking about CHMOD what should other file be set to? Is 644 ok? It's all a mystery to me :)

chasenet
Scratch the social icons bit I've done that using the header and footer options: using "Distance from..."

chasenet
@Catrina: What all of them or just the two mentioned above? I followed the instructions and it's all gone smoothly. So ta very much. For reference. I found it easier to move the ad about using inline css on the div rather than altering the #branding .content-pad {padding: 20px 20px 24px;} which altered the position of the social icons. ASh