Sign in to follow this  
bda4

Home Page - "no feature posts matched this pages criteria" AND lost box set

bda4

My feature slider disappeared from my "home" page (custom post type - assigned as home page) and the following message is received: "no feature posts matched this pages criteria". I also had a box set on this home page which disappeared at the same time. Our site was functioning properly for the last 7 months without this problem occurring. I can't figure this out - I am not a developer. Your help would be greatly appreciated. My site: freshnurse . ca Here's my settings: PlatformPro --> feature settings --> feature post source --> feature posts (custom post type) Pages --> "home" page --> template = feature page --> feature slider section = "my feature set" Features --> 4 separate slides, each assigned to "my feature set" (*similar situation with boxes) Current: PlatformBase 1.3.2, PlatformPro 1.5.3 Thanks Again!

kastelic
Can you go to Pages -> Home -> Pagelines Meta Settings -> Feature Settings and select your feature set there?

bda4
Hi Kastelic, Yes, I do have the feature settings selected in my meta settings. That does not appear to be the problem. Our site was functioning for 7 months before this problem, and we made no changes to the home page regarding the feature slider or boxes -- any other ideas?

kastelic
If you set it to default features does it work? If you set FEature Settings -> Post Source to "Use Post Category" and then set a category does it work then? If you make a new page with the feature template can you get it to work?

bda4
Q1. No, with pagelines feature settings set for 'feature posts (custom post type)' the default features don't work :( Q2. If I set pagelines feature settings for 'Use Post Category' the feature slider appears with blog posts. However, how would this be used to bring in the images I was formerly using in the feature sets? (*Also, my Box Set is still missing). Q3. Creating a new page with the feature template does not work. I get the same message for the feature slider - "no feature posts matched this pages criteria"; as well, no box set appears :( What do you think? Again, Thanks for your help with this. BDA

Rob
Did you go to Dashboard > PlatformPro > Template Setup and select the template you used for that page. Make sure the PageLines Features and Boxes are on that page template.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

bda4
Hi rangelone, For the past 7 months I've been using a feature page template, and both features and boxes are included in the Template Setup. That doesn't appear to be the problem. Any other ideas?

Rob
It could be that your platformbase is 1.3.2 as the present version is 1.4.1. I'd suggest copying all custom code to a text file, then updating it. The problem could be caused by a plugin failing as a result of a recent WP update, or a conflict between plugins, or a change in permalinks that happened as a result of an update done by your hosting company. There are many options. Let's try permanlinks first. Make sure your .htaccess file is CHMOD to 777. Go to Dashboard > Settings > Permalinks and without changing anything, just save the settings. Failing that, deactivate your plugins and see if the problem stops. If that's the case, reactivate the plugins, one at a time, doing a cache clearing refresh (Shift F7) on a Windows based machine for each reactivation. Check to see if the problem reoccurs. If it does, that's your culprit. Finally, go to http://www.wordpress.org/extend/plugins and look up each of your plugins to see if any are incompatible with your WP version or reported as broken.

bda4
rangelone, Thanks for these troubleshooting ideas. I will give them a shot and report back :)

Rob
Great! Happy Holidays!

bda4
[b]Results of troubleshooting:[/b] The problem appears to be an imcompatability between platformpro 1.5.3 and the following plugin: WPMU Membership Premium 2.1.4 Plugin. (*most current) - This is a core plugin for my site. So not cool. - When the plugin is deactivated the feature slider works,and box sets work - problem isolated except I need that plugin to work. - [u]Here's the skinny[/u]: the only time the feature slider, and box sets don't work is when the membership plugin is activated [b]AND[/b] a user is NOT logged into the site. However, the feature slider, and box sets work fine with the membership plugin if the user is logged in. What do you recommend I do next? I've been to the WPMU Membership forum but there aren't any useful discussions regarding the platformpro framework and it's use of custom post types. [b]Thanks for you support, it's appreciated a lot! BDA4 [/b] Side Note: I am a little weary of updating "platformbase", because I don't want to lose the custom post type settings throughout my site. I couldn't find clear instructions on how to update. There are no instructions provided in the 'read me' file for the 'platformbase' download -where I'd suspect them to be. (yet there are instructions for upgrading in the 'read me' file for the'platformpro parent' download). As well, these forum discussions recommend not to upgrade the 'platformbase': [url="http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/10758/how-to-upgrade-to-new-version-of-platformpro-base/p1"]http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/10758/how-to-upgrade-to-new-version-of-platformpro-base/p1[/url] [url="http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/9841/platform-base-and-platform-pro-question/p1"]http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/9841/platform-base-and-platform-pro-question/p1[/url] Do you still think it's necessary that I update? If so, can you point me in the direction of some clear instructions on updating 'platformbase'?

kastelic
What does the plugin do, perhaps someone can suggest an alternative? Another membership plugin you could try is s2member

bda4
Hi Kastelic, I'm committed to the WPMU Membership plugin as I'm a paid member for the next year. Here's what the plugin does as per the synopsis at WPMU Dev: [i]"Essentially Membership allows you to transform your WordPress, WPMU or BuddyPress site into a fully functional membership site - where you can provide access to downloads, online content, videos, forums, support and more through flexible membership levels and options."[/i] Membership Plugin: http://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership I've used this plugin successfully for the past 7 months with the platformpro framework.

Rob
On the subject of upgrading Platformbase, simply go to your Custom Code section and copy everything you have in each text box to a text file which you save to your desktop for safe keeping. FTP into the site and in the old version of platformbase, download to your desktop the file functions.php (to preserve any hooks you may have created). Do the same with any custom sections or templates you've created. Then, go to your launchpad, download the latest platformbase (1.4.1) and upload it to the wp-content/themes/platformbase file, overwriting any existing files. Custom files (other than functions.php) should not be overwritten, but for safe measure, keep them on the desktop for the moment. Edit the new functions.php to include hooks (copied and pasted) from the one presently on your desktop. Login, go to the Custom Code and paste the information you downloaded earlier to the text file. Check the site to make sure everything works. As for WPMU Membership, I suspect in this case that the plugin is reacting with custom post types and would recommend asking WPMU Membership how they recommend avoiding their plugin being applied to those files. Unfortunately, we can't really determine how they deal with those post types. A slider and boxes, being custom post types are sort of added posts being viewed on your template (almost like an old fashioned iframe). You can see this effectively when you go to add or edit a feature slider or a box. The same will apply to banners. If your plugin is reacting to or interacting with those custom post types, it may be blocking the viewing of those posts because the member is not logged in or because they are and they don't have access to those posts. I hope I'm being clear and apologize if this isn't. We'll be happy to explain further if you need. There may be some fix that WPMU Membership can provide for dealing with custom post types.

bda4
Hi Rangelone, Thank you for your response. I will implement the platformbase update as you lay it out. I've opened a discussion on this problem with WPMU Dev and I suspect the resolution will be found troubleshooting with them. Below is the link to the forum discussion I opened: [url="http://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-214-blocking-platformpro-feature-slider?replies=5#post-166042"]http://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-214-blocking-platformpro-feature-slider?replies=5#post-166042[/url] As well, I just opened an error log via SFTP, and the following error recurrs: [i][error] [client 4.79.204.36] Premature end of script headers: index.php [/i] Any thoughts on this? (This is the error log for path user/logs, I don't have an error log set up yet via wordpress wp-config, but I plan to) Thanks again for your consideration!

Rob
I will bump this to our developers, one of whom is out sick with the flu. Please be patient and we'll get you a resolution as soon as possible.

Simon
This is some kind of user level plugin is it? Appears the default userlevel does not have the ability to view the feature posts, they are basically posts but with a custom post type, so if your logged out user level has no post view privileges the features section will not find any features to display.

bda4
Hi Pross, What you've surmised is correct. The Membership plugin assigns different user levels based on different subscriptions. The problem I'm having is for those 'users' who are not signed in (ie.visitors) - they are unable to see the feature slider and box sets (custom post type) that signed in users can see. The Membership plugin has settings that allow me to assign a level to these visitors that are not signed in - these settings allow logged out users to view the feature slider and box sets in question. These settings were working for the past 7 months but now aren't. Any thoughts on how to progress? I am trying to get a developer at WPMU to help on the plugin side. I posted a link to that forum above. As well, I did update my platformbase as requested above - unfortunately that didn't solve my problem :( Thanks for your consideration!

Jenny
I imagine that some sort of PHP function could be written to allow users of the visitor type to see the custom post types, but I have no idea what that function would be. ;)

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

bda4
Hi simple_mama, I'm determined to find an answer to this problem. The plugin developers are supposed to be looking into this from the plugin end, and I was hoping a pagelines developer would communicate with me on this too. That's why I'm on a forum for the theme I pay for ... to find an answer! :)

catrina
Usually plugin developers don't respond to support too quickly because of the volume of requests (they usually lead users to a forum for their plugin or something of that sort) but hopefully they provide some insight soon! I'm not a developer myself so I'm not certain what could be the issue.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

Simon
I seriously doubt this is a theme issue as you said nothing changed for 7 months and you have not updated the theme. I'am assuming you updated to wp 3.3 lately. Was there a plugin update? The custom post types we use for features etc have never changed, were using the same system in framework 2.0

bda4
Hi Pross, I updated the theme, wordpress, and plugin around the same time in early december. The problem went unnoticed by me because I failed to check the feature slider and box sets while not logged in - that would have shown the problem immediately but I didn't notice for a couple weeks. (The 7 months refers to not making any changes to the page settings (custom post type settings)). I have isolated the problem to the Membership plugin by checking each plugin separately - the feature slider works without the plugin. This appears to be an incompatibility between the plugin and the theme from the recent updates. I have contacted the plugin developers but would also like to troubleshoot from the theme side if possible.