Sign in to follow this  
studio12

Can someone please tell with basics of setting up menu?

studio12

Hi, I need help with the basics of creating a menu at the top of my home page. Where do I find the place to type in the title of the menu I want? Example: HOME, ABOUT, CONTACT, etc. -thanks!

Rob
Login as Admin. You will be on the "Dashboard". There's a column in grey on the left. Scroll down to Appearance. Depending on whether you have Wordpress 3.2.1 or 3.3, you will see under there or to the side, a link to "Menus". Click that. There's a box on the left for Custom Links. BUT, let's start from the beginning. At the top of that screen, you should create a primary menu. Call it "Primary" and save. You'll see it become a tab at the top. [u]Do not[/u] check the box "Automatically add new top-level pages" In the box to the left, headed "Theme Locations" select the Primary menu you just created. Now let's go create some menu items. You can use the Custom Links, Add Pages or Categories to the menu. You'll see them show up as bars in the white editing area. There, you may drag the menu items up and down to set their order. If you indent one, it becomes a subnav item, so try to keep them all aligned flush left unless you want subnavigation (drop down) menus.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

studio12
Great info! I'll give it a try, thanks so much!

studio12
May I also ask your recommendation/the best way to add an email subscribe box?

kastelic
My recommendation is to signup with an email marketing service such as Constant Contact. Then you can be provided with widget code to insert on your website.

chasenet
If you want free there's an open source mass email program you install on your own server http://www.phplist.com/ or there is a hosted version from around $10 a month - which means all updates etc are handled for you http://www.phplist.com/hosted Either option has forms which can be embedded in your own site for folks signing up. both options support multiple lists and custom fields. I've used this service previously and thought the hosted version very good. Hope that's some help. If you want things really simple Constant Contact or Campaign Monitor or similar are probably best but more expensive than PHP list.