Sign in to follow this  
jamiewalden

Font Problem in IE8 Compatibility Mode

jamiewalden

Hey Guys, I'm having an issue with the font in my drop down menus. It looks like font smoothing isn't on or something. Unfortunately I have to account for compatibility mode as some of our older products require using it. :| Any ideas on how to fix? It's just Uppercase Arial so it shouldn't pose an issue, I wouldn't think Here's a link to a screenshot of the issue: http://blogstage.americandatanetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/font-problem.jpg'>http://blogstage.americandatanetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/font-problem.jpg Here's a link to the site: http://blogstage.americandatanetwork.com Thanks very much for your help.

Jenny
It's only a very slight difference, which is pretty much expected with older browsers. The only thing I can think of is the: [code].menu-item a { text-shadow: 0 1px 0 #FFFFFF; }[/code]

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

jamiewalden
I tried commenting out all the text-shadows and that didn't fix it. Could it have something to do with the behavior of the submenu? I wonder that because there's a text shadow on the button on the feature slider that isn't making the button font squirrely like the font in the submenu.

Jenny
I really don't know what it could be aside from the way that different browsers display fonts. For example, FF for Mac and Safari display fonts differently.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Rob
I wonder what might happen to your site if you copied and changed the code quoted above from 1px to 0 in Custom Code / CSS Rules? Doubtlessly it might remove the shadow in all browsers, but I am not convinced it would have impact on IE8. The browsers will, as simple_mama says above, render fonts with slight differences, and while she's being less diplomatic than I, ultimately, no CSS can change that perfectly. Were you using those fonts in any theme, website or platform displaying in IE8, they'd render differently than in IE9, Chrome, FireFox or Safari. As I see it, you can A. Select a different font; B. eliminate shadows from the fonts site wide or C. post the old fashioned solution - a statement that indicates the site is best viewed in IE9, Google Chrome and Firefox. It may not be the most elegant solution, but it works. Lastly, you can always just ignore the minor difference.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur