Sign in to follow this  
boldbelvoir

unknown twitter error - again!

boldbelvoir

I have searched the threads for this topic but there seems no definitive answer. The built-in twitter bar is contantly giving the 'unknown twitter error' message. It has been suggested that it is a server error. I can't see how, as I have been with the same host for about three years. My old theme's twitter feed performed faultlessly until I installed Pagelines and since then, the feed has given the error. Can someone PLEASE explain how this could be a server error and, more importantly, how to fix the issue? Thanks for reading.

Simon
There is a definitive answer. The twitter section uses the basic twitter API to get your latest posts. In the last few months twitter introduced rate limiting as people were abusing this free service. If you are being rate limited you are probably sharing your webserver with 100's of other sites, if just one of those is abusing twitter, the whole server gets affected. There is no way around it. If you give me your URL I can tell you exactly how many other sites share your IP. Some hosts have no bother changing your site to a dedicated IP so you will never have this problem again, usually costs 1 or 2 dollars extra a month. The only other choice is to find a 3rd party plugin in the wordpress repo that uses full OAUTH identification where you have to setup a twitter application for your site. A pain, but it isnt limited because they know it is you making the requests and it isn't anonymous.

boldbelvoir
Thank-you, I understand now, but why would Twitter play with my old theme work OK up until I installed PageLines last weekend?

Simon
I dont know, might have used a different method.