Sign in to follow this  
israelgenealogy

Showing the last tweet at the bottom of the page

israelgenealogy

In Platform my site showed the latest tweet from my twitter feed at the bottom of every page. In Pagelines Framework it does not. What happened to that twitter display? Is there something I need to turn on somewhere? I thought maybe there was a widget which would allow me to put it anywhere on the page, but didn't see that.

Jenny
You need to tell it where to show. PageLines -> Templates. You must add it to every page type on which you want it to display.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

israelgenealogy
Thank you. I didn't see a way to add to to each page type, but I did see that I could add it to the Morefoot section. Is Morefoot the only place it can be added?

Jenny
You can add it to the morefoot or footer section, or wherever you want (as long as the section is available, as you stated above). :)

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

israelgenealogy
So I just noticed something weird. The link at the end of the most recent tweet is getting cut, and thus not working. On Twitter.com, the link is converted to a t.co link, but when displayed using the PageLines twitter feed the last two letters of the link get omitted, and thus the link fails to work...

Simon
Can you show us a link?

israelgenealogy
The site is very much in flux, but sure: http://genealogy.org.il/wordpress/ I noticed the person handling our Twitter feed has posted new tweets since I started writing this and that problem isn't showing up in the recent tweets. The problem was with the last tweet published on Dec 17. I'm guessing it has something to do with a tweet that is longer than what you display. In this case, the tweet is cut off mid-link and it cuts the link too (not just the display of the link). While you're looking, notice also content from the Special Recent Posts plug-in spilling out of the page into the sidebar. I've had about 3 different plug-ins do this same thing. Perhaps these plug-ins need better code, but perhaps there is something that can be done on PageLine's side as well to prevent this? I'm trying to trouble-shoot this with the plug-in developer, but if you have any suggestions as to what is going wrong here, your input would be appreciated.

Simon
in the plugins css: [code]/* The content stuff box. */ div.srp-content-box { display : table-cell; vertical-align : top; }[/code] change to [code]/* The content stuff box. */ div.srp-content-box { display : table-cell; vertical-align : top; white-space : normal; }[/code] As for the twitter cuttoff, the tweets are not trimmed by the framework, so either twitter is sending a short tweet (unlikely) or its a css issue, maybe the container is too short.

israelgenealogy
Thanks for the help with the plug-in. As for Twitter, the link works fine if you go to it on the Twitter web site. That's how I realized the link was getting cut off, because on Twitter.com the link worked fine and had an extra two characters. Also, what do you mean the tweets are not trimmed by the framework? Obviously the tweet is not being shown in full, and it even adds a ... at the end to show that.

Simon
Exactly that, the tweets are not trimmed in any way, it simply displays the entire tweet. http://pross.org.uk/ check it out, i made a 140 char tweet, and it is all there.

israelgenealogy
I've set up the same tweet that caused the problem before. Please check it again: http://genealogy.org.il/wordpress/ It's cut off long before the end of the tweet...

Simon
Its over 140 chars ;) even though on twitter.com it is showing 146 chars, they must split the tweets on the API, im guessing.

israelgenealogy
By the way, I just tried modifying the CSS as you recommended, but the content still spills over into the sidebar. Is there something I need to do after I modify the CSS? Thanks.

Simon
where did you add the css?

israelgenealogy
I edited the file special-recent-posts/css/css-theme.css in the plug-in editor. I haven't done this before, so I was only guessing there, but that's where I found the CSS you showed.

Simon
never a good idea to edit plugins directly, you can never update it then! Add this to the custom css box in pagelines settings: [code]div.srp-content-box { display : table-cell; vertical-align : top; white-space : normal; }[/code]

israelgenealogy
That worked, thanks. I noticed the style of the text is different than what is defined in PageLines. Is there a way to get it to inherit the PageLines settings for fonts?