Sign in to follow this  
Gavin_

iPad

Gavin_

Hello I have built a site using wordpress 3.3 and the pagelines framework. It all looks fine on my desktop. But on my clients iPad it rearranges the content. It places the sidebar beneath the main content. This happens on all the pages of the website - the sidebar will be found under the main page content. They took great pleasure in showing me lots of other websites where the sidebars stay where they should be. Also the drop down menu will appear behind the youtube video. I had already had this problem with chrome and added code to fix it but the problem was still on the iPad. I tried altering the width of the page but that didn't make a difference! The website is here http://79.170.44.85/beechlodgeschool.co.uk/ Any ideas? Thanks

Martin Bay
In [b]Pagelines > Settings > Layout Editor[/b] there is an option to [b]Disable Mobile View[/b] - have you tried that?

Gavin_
That could be great. Shame is I don't have an iPad to test. What would disabling mobile view do?

Simon
It disables the 'viewport' headers.

Gavin_
would that fix the problem with the layout and the menu dropping behind the video?

Martin Bay
Disabling mobile view would keep the sidebars in place and not scale menus etc... guess you can try in any mobile device that can view websites?

Gavin_
thanks @martinbay i'll try and find someone with an iPad to test its the iPad that they are most concerned about. what about the menu problem though? any ideas how to stop it appearing behind the video?

Danny
Hi Gavin, I personally don't have an iPad. However, I know people who do and I can try to see if they will borrow me there's for a while to see if I can resolve this for you but it will take some time unfortunately. As soon as I find anything, I'll post here.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Gavin_
Hi Danny thanks - that is very kind of you. Best, Gavin

Martin Bay
Did you get it sorted out Gavin?

Rob Thomas
This happened to me and it was easily resolved by disabling mobile view (as Martin suggested). I have an iPad (which I use everyday for my work - no more lecture notes on paper it's all on the iPad, as well as multimedia). I checked and it displays fine on it.

Jackey
TIP for Safari users: Enable Development tools in the advance preferences then you can enable user agents of all sorts. Beats Firebug i.m.h.o.

Jackey
It will even emulate IE7... together with the Browser Specific CSS plugin I have a powerful set of tools.

Simon
Speaking of which the browsercss plugin was updated today, for example for ie7 it will add 'ie ie7' before it was just 'ie' so even more specific control ;)

ryanjohnjackson
Is there really a need for mobile view anymore? Most people use android or iOS and anything else can just suffer lol. My only issues with my pages on iOS so far is my "fixed" page ends way before it should and my menus stick unless I click something.

Jackey
@pross Installed the new version this morning so I immediately did a fix for my webpage header for IE7 clients! (no buttons and out of position)

Gavin_
thanks @jackey@melisgs.nl for the safari tip @martinbay - still haven't seen it on an ipad !

Danny
@Gavin I am have been unable to get a hold of an iPad to test this for you, are you still having this issue ?

Jackey
My 2c: If you like to have control over the widths of your columns, and where they are placed, should you not choose for "Static with pixel width" in the Layout Handling pane? (i.e. non-responsive) That is where Disable Mobile View shows its purpose imho.

Gavin_
@Danny I don't know as I don't have access to an iPad either!!!

Danny
@gavin_launchpad I tested your site on this site http://ipadpeek.com/ and I can't find any issues. I'm not sure how reliable this site is as a valid test, but could you take a look yourself and if you find any errors report them here.

Gavin_
@Danny - thanks for the tip and apologies for the tardy nature of my response.

drthomas23
I had the same problem and it took a little while to figure it out. My goal was to have my site display consistently on desktop, laptop and particularly my Ipad in both horizontal and vertical view. Disabling Mobile View for the most part resolves the problem, except if you use Features, you will have some nasty scaling issues, and the sides of your background images will be cut off. If you want your client's site to display nice on an Ipad or Iphone in horizontal and vertical view, I suggest using the Responsive with Pixel Width Layout mode and adjust the pixel width of your layouts to total no more then 964px. If you use multiple columns, make sure the widths of all columns doesn't exceed 964px. The width can be adjusted by clicking and dragging the columns in Pagelines - > Settings -> Layout Editor -> Layout Dimension Editor. The Ipad will then zoom appropriately in horizontal/vertical mode to fill the screen without any content wrap or sidebar issues. Layouts and styling has definitely changed to accommodate the horizontal/vertical orientation of mobile devices. I've noticed that many sites have become very vertical, and almost daily see large white left/right borders when I view sites on a large widescreen monitor.