Sign in to follow this  
getyouonline

Widget / Sidebar Cusomisation Question

getyouonline

Hello, I have just purchased the Pro version. Am I correct in thinking that the following is NOT possible without resorting to coding? My website has a full width Universal Sidebar, 1 left side bar, a content area and 1 right sidebar on all pages. The left Sidebar has 3 widgets which I want show on all pages except Category page, where I only want to show 2 of those widgets. The site also has a menu on the right (Secondary) sidebar which I want to hide & replace with another menu on the Category page. I have acheived the menu swap by allocating the Category Page menu to a third (Tertiary) sidebar and only showing that on the Category page and hiding the Secondary Menu from the Category Page. Similarly my default template has the Tertiary Sidebar hidden from all other pages. Unless I am mistaken Platform Pro does not give you complete control over what widgets are shown on what pages, only what Sidebars can be shown and hidden. And since I have used up all available Sidebars, then I am unable to hide the 3rd widget on the Category page. Is this correct? Many thanks in advance, Col

Rob
Col, I don't think any platform, theme or framework offers that level of widget control, so you are correct that PlatformPro doesn't either. However, that doesn't mean you can't have what you desire. The trick here is easy as pie. You need a plugin called "Widget Logic" http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/widget-logic/ which allows you to tell individual widgets where they are not to appear. So, if you want a menu or other widget to be hidden on a Category Page, home, blog or other page or even a particular post, just tell Widget Logic... this menu is hidden in category x. Simple codes are used to do that. Widget Logic adds fields to the edit box for each widget, thus allowing you to have total control over each widget. You can theoretically have lots of widgets that appear only in places you want them to be. Hope this helps!

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

getyouonline
Many thanks for the confirmation Rangelone. I did actually try widget-logic (and a couple of others) but couldn't get it to work properly on all pages. I will try again & refer to the forum to see if I have been doing something wrong. Col

Jenny
If you consider this topic closed for now, please "accept" an answer. You are free to open a new discussion later. Or if you need further assistance, just let us know. :)

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.