Sign in to follow this  
riechersm

301 Redirect

riechersm

Hi Folks I am building a new site on pagelines and have a few questions related to SEO. I want to make it a non-disaster from the start if I can... 1. I've been told I need to do 301 redirects from pages on my site that are linked to. How can I determine which these are? (I have installed "Simple 301 redirect" plugin. Anyone have anything to say about that? 2. As I am webtarded and have little free time, what is the best SEO advice I could get, and where can I get simple, non-technical advice on how to make basic good decisions? thanks!

kastelic
Any page that you had before that now shows a 404 error should be redirected to a corresponding page on your site. You can also redirect entire directories. I would go to seomoz.com for the best SEO advice in my opinion.

riechersm
I guess I don't really understand the answer.... when we replace the old site with the new one, all the pages on the new site will work, but there will be no way to click on the old one, so how will we get a 404? Ugh, sorry, I am clearly failing to get the basic point here...

catrina
When you replace the "old site" with the "new site" the pages on the new one should work (there shouldn't be a 404 error). Can you post a link?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

riechersm
well, sure.... our site is brooklynmeditation.org, but we haven't launched the new site, so there's nothing of interest to see there...I'm trying to figure this out before making the switch so I don't tank our site. I suppose what i could do is make the new site live and leave the old one hidden, then link ALL the pages one by one, that way I don't need to figure out which ones are are those that have incoming links...

Rob
I think that what Kastelic was trying to say is that your old site, if it's remaining in place, will deliver a 404 if the content is removed. If you're trying to ensure that search engines do not lose those links, you put in a 301 redirect on every post or page in the old site. However, while SEO companies recommend this, search engines really don't like 301 redirects because their bots still log what is essentially an empty page. My best recommendation is not to worry about 301 redirects and concentrate your time and efforts on creating great tags for each post in your new WP-based site. That way, search engines will find your content. Additionally, you can add unique excerpts for each post (search engines love nice, short, unique excerpts) and you can make sure that you schedule content to be new each day. That's a love-affair for search engines.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

riechersm
ok..... but what if I DON'T remove the content? Will the bots like me more? What are "unique excerpts?"Is there a method to schedule new content for each day without writing new stuff everyday, which would be beyond my time capabilities? Yow.

Martin Bay
Regards [b]schedule[/b]. Yes - you can schedule a post out in the future. You can set a time out where the publish button is. I suggest for 404 errors that you check in Google Webmaster Tools which pages/have many links and redirect those to the new page with same content - and ask those who link to you content to change their links. I use this plugin: Quick Page/Post Redirect DEV Hope this helps.

riechersm
yes, thank you Martinbay. My main question still needs answering if I am to implement what I take to be your excellent suggestion.... 1. I've been told I need to do 301 redirects from pages on my site that are linked to. How can I determine which these are? the 404 thing is a red-herring, I don;'t have any and anticipate not having any. I am seeking to find WHERE incoming links are linked, and then I will re-direct to pages with same/similar content. I have google analytics installed, but have no idea which of our pages are receiving incoming links! Thanks for the scheduling advice!

catrina
[quote]I have google analytics installed, but have no idea which of our pages are receiving incoming links![/quote] I believe there is a section in your Google Analytics account (by logging into your Google account) that tells you which websites people are accessing your links from.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

Martin Bay
Your will find the info in Google Webmaster Tools - and lots of other great info to SEO you site.

Danny
OK, I've read through all the comments and I don't quite understand what you're trying to do. Are you creating a new site and want your old site posts/pages to redirect to your new site, am I correct with this assumption or being completely stupid ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

Martin Bay
Yes that the essence. That way you avoid visitors to get 404 "This Page Does not exist". As mentioned before you should try in add you site to Google Webmaster Tools - I interesting info you get in relations to which sites links to you and how your site do in google for different keywords.

Rob
[quote]ok..... but what if I DON'T remove the content? Will the bots like me more? [/quote] If you don't want to remove the old content, then you just put a link on every post and page to it's corresponding version on the new site, but the Google Tools method is a great one. [quote]What are "unique excerpts?"[/quote] On each post, you can create a specific excerpt for that post. If you are editing a post, go to the text area, right below it, should be another text area labelled "Excerpt". If you don't see that, go to the top right corner of the page and click "Screen Options" then check the box for "Excerpt"; close the screen options and scroll back down and the excerpt box will now show (and on all future posts). Best practice for excerpts is to use the first one or two sentences from a post which should encapsulate the core concept of your post. Keep them brief, salient and enticing so people are interested in reading further.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

riechersm
@Danny "Are you creating a new site and want your old site posts/pages to redirect to your new site" Precisely. @ Rangelone "If you don't want to remove the old content, then you just put a link on every post and page to it's corresponding version on the new site, but the Google Tools method is a great one." I think I will use the former. Seems like more work, but at least I understand it! And thanks for the explanation of unique excerpts! Thanks to all for your helpful contributions.