Sign in to follow this  
ryanjohnjackson

Drop sidebar default css bug or?

ryanjohnjackson

Hi, Ok so for my default page I have it setup as sidebar-main-sidebar By default the sidebars touch the main column. I prefer a bit of space between them so I added this

.mcolumn-pad{
	margin:0px 10px 0px 10px;
	}
That looks great on the main page BUT I have a another page that I drop the first sidebar and I noticed the sharebar didn't look centered so I checked the css using "inspect element" and found this:
.one-sidebar-right #column-main .mcolumn-pad, .two-sidebar-right #column-main .mcolumn-pad {
	padding: 14px 30px 0 15px;
	padding-top: 14px;
	padding-right: 30px;
	padding-bottom: 0px;
	padding-left: 15px;
I do not believe this is my own CSS. I've searched it in a notepad and there is no "30px" listed for anything and only one "15px" for menu. My question is why the 30px on the padding-right? NlZF8.png Here is my entire css add on list:
/*- RYAN'S CSS EXPLOSION -*/

body{
	background-color:#F2F2F2;
	}

/*--AREA HEADER--*/

#branding .content{
	height: 80px;
	}

#branding .content-pad{
	padding-top:0px;
	}

/*LINKS IN HEADER*/
	.brand-links {
	float:left;
	width:300px;
	}

.brand-links a {
	padding:0px 5px 0px 0px;
	margin: -2px 0px 0px 0px;
	width :70px;
	font-size: 12px;
	}

/*MENU*/
	ul.sf-menu li a{
	padding: 10px 15px 5px 5px;
	}

#nav{
	font-size:13px;
	}

#nav .content-pad{
	padding: 2px 2px 2px 2px;
	}

/*--CONTENT AREA--*/

/*COLUMNS AND MAIN CONTENT COLUMN*/

.widget-pad, #column-main,.mcolumn-pad{
	  position:relative;
	  -webkit-border-radius: 10px;
	  -moz-border-radius: 10px;
	  border-radius: 10px;
	  behavior: url(/PIE.htc);
	}

.widget-pad, .mcolumn-pad{
	position:relative;
	background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.1) !important;
	border-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2) !important;
	/* For IE 5.5 - 7*/
	filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr=#85dedede, endColorstr=#85dedede);
	/* For IE 8*/
	-ms-filter: "progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr=#85dedede, endColorstr=#85dedede)";
	border-style:solid;
	border-width:1px;
	}

.mcolumn-pad{
	margin:0px 10px 0px 10px;
	}

.widget-pad{
	margin-bottom: 10px;
	}

#sharebar .post-footer-pad{
	font-size:11px;
	margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
	padding: 5px 5px 5px 5px;
	}

/*CONTENT FONTS*/
	p{
	font-size: 11px !important;
	line-height:16px !important;
	margin: 12px 0px 12px 0px;
	}

.widget-title{
	font-size: 13px !important;
	padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
	margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
	}

a{
	font-size: 11px;
	}

/*FOOTER*/

#cred{
	display:none
	}

.footcol-pad{
	font-size:10px;
	}

#footcols{
	background-color:#F2F2F2;
	}

ryanjohnjackson
I might add I didn't see this in my 1.x version of the site. the css was a bit different but anything on the main page seemed to be the same on pages where I dropped sidebars. There is likely a benefit to this but I'm not sure yet why it's like that.

Rob
Ryan, this is a bit more complex than most of us in the forum can handle as support and goes to the level of pro support. I'll flag it to a developer, but I suspect you may need a pro to help.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

ryanjohnjackson
Rangelone, I'm asking if this is an accident by the developers. This didn't occur in 1.x and I can't think of a reason why there would be default CSS (default meaning not added by me) that puts a div 15px on one side and 30px on another in the main column. So I guess the questions are: 1. was this a mistake in the theme/framework 2. if it's not a mistake what does putting it off center benefit? I can fix it through CSS but I would be band-aiding it if it's a mistake on the dev side. I don't have any custom css that tells anything to do 30px and only one thing that mentions 15px for the nav area. That's why I posted my sheet to show there's nothing in there that would be doing this. I am also doing this because I want to make sure I'm learning and starting to realize when I am messing up vs finding something that I may have to work around. Thanks though!

ryanjohnjackson
Ok, To test that it wasn't my error I deleted all my css: [img]http://i.imgur.com/ezcsL.png[/img] To duplicate the issue: 1. As your default layout choose sidebar-main-sidebar, response pixel width, full width section 2. add the sharebar to the content area 3. make another page but using pagelines meta setting turn off one of the sidebars so it's just main and sidebar 4. use inspect element or firebug over sharebar in main column You should see it is off center on the 1 sidebar page but centered on the siderbar-main-sidebar page. Unless there's something I could mess up outside of css to cause this it seems to be an error.

catrina
The 30px may be coming from another stylesheet in the theme (not the stylesheet that houses the custom CSS, but a different one).

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

ryanjohnjackson
I installed platform on a Wordpress 3.2.1 that I had nothing setup in. This column "issue" exists in it with no 3rd party plugins and no css ever added by me. So it comes by default from a stylesheet that pagelines made as I originally guessed. Unless there's something else I don't know about? But this wasn't like this in the prior version and it seems wrong. Reason it seems wrong to me is if I make a box around the content area when it is between 2 sidebars it is fine. If I make a page where the content area is with 1 siderbar it isn't centered anymore. Maybe Pross can explain it to me?

ryanjohnjackson
Ok so it's in layout css. I can change it but it seems like a weird choice. [code]/* @ Layout Column Padding */ .two-sidebar-center #column-main .mcolumn-pad{ padding-right: 20px; padding-left: 20px;} .fullwidth #column-main .mcolumn-pad{ padding-right: 15px; padding-left: 15px;} .one-sidebar-right #column-main .mcolumn-pad, .two-sidebar-right #column-main .mcolumn-pad{ padding: 14px 30px 0 15px; } .one-sidebar-left #column-main .mcolumn-pad, .two-sidebar-left #column-main .mcolumn-pad{ padding: 14px 15px 0 30px; } [/code]

ryanjohnjackson
I'm guessing this was done for people that thought the content was too close to the sidebar when in single sidebar mode. But it looks bad when you have the content area within a box. This wasn't like this in 1.x which is why I considered it a bug. This seems to fix/change it. [code]/*FIX FOR CENTERING CONTENT COLUMN WHEN 1 SIDEBAR CSS*/ .one-sidebar-right #column-main .mcolumn-pad, .two-sidebar-right #column-main .mcolumn-pad{ padding: 14px 15px 0 15px; } .one-sidebar-left #column-main .mcolumn-pad, .two-sidebar-left #column-main .mcolumn-pad{ padding: 14px 15px 0 15px; }[/code] You guys can mark this as answered but I still think this probably isn't the best way to go about it. My boss just said "you're being too picky" to me ;)