Sign in to follow this  
israelgenealogy

Is there a way to insert a blog into a page?

israelgenealogy

I'm not sure if this is a WordPress question or a PageLines question, but is there a shortcode or other way to insert blog Posts into a Page? If so, can I choose how many? Also, can I choose a specific category of posts? Thanks

AaronS
I'm a novice, so take my feedback with a grain of salt. My understanding is that you can only have one 'dynamic' page which is where blog posts appear. The rest of your pages are intended to be for static content. I wanted to do something similar to what (I think) you're interested in doing, which is that I wanted to have (a) one main dynamic page as well as (b) separate pages for each contributor to my site. This way, all posts would appear on the main dynamic page AND each contributor would have a list of their individual posts on their static page. I installed two plugins: [url="http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/category-posts/"]Category Posts[/url] and [url="http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/slayers-custom-widgets/"]Custom Widgets[/url]. The first allows you to create a widget which lists posts only from particular categories. The second allows you to choose which widget shows up on which page. Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I hope it helped.

israelgenealogy
Hmmm. Custom Widgets sounds interesting. I was wondering how to do that. Cateogry Posts only lists links to the posts in that category, not the actual posts, so it's not exactly what I need. I'm wondering if it makes more sense to add the boxes and callout I'm using on this page to the default page, and then re-direct people to a different page when they login. Not exactly what I wanted, but perhaps that can work too.

israelgenealogy
Actually, no, that was my initial problem, that you can't define the default page. Somehow there must be a way to set up a page through PageLines that has blog content and boxes and callouts, etc.

kastelic
If you go to Pagelines -> Templates and click on Page Templates in the visual representation and then click on Blog under "for which type of page?" you can add any sections you want to the blog page.

israelgenealogy
I see that, but I don't see how to create a blog page. It's not a template available when creating a page. I did find this code online: http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/7046/how-to-pull-blogposts-using-shortcodes Not sure if it will do what I want yet, but it seems like this is the kind of thing that PageLines should have built in. I don't want to start adding PHP code to PAgeLines if I don't have to...

Rob
Here's what you need. It's very simple. [url="http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/special-recent-posts/"]Special Recent Posts[/url] You can specify the number of posts, whether it pulls thumbnails, length of excerpt, or even the category. You can also use the shortcodes multiple times on a page. It also works nicely in the sidebar.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

slingr
There's also this one that I'm familiar with. I know the author. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/tpg-get-posts/

israelgenealogy
Thank you for both suggestions. I tried one and the content spills out of the content area into the sidebar. Anyone have any idea why that would happen? Have you used these plug-ins with Pagelines in the content area successfully?

Rob
Which one did you try? I had that experience with TPG, which did not handle thumbnails well either, which is why I suggested SRP. If your shortcode is properly configured, it should be no problem.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

israelgenealogy
I think I tried TPG, because when I installed SRP it says to drag its widget into the sidebar, and I'm not looking to display anything in the sidebar. I will try it on a page, however.

israelgenealogy
Now I remember the other reason I didn't try SRP, because I can't find any documentation on how to use it with shortcodes.

israelgenealogy
Do you know where the shortcode documentation for SRP is?

israelgenealogy
Okay, I found the information on using the shortcode for SRP. It does the same thing. The text of each post is not formatted and spills out of the page into the sidebar. Also, it says the name of the plug-in at the top which is weird. I need to look at the settings a bit more, but any idea why the text is spilling out in both of these plug-ins?

israelgenealogy
Okay, I found the setting for changing the title (or removing it) and there is a setting for posting to a post or a page (default post) so perhaps that is what needs to be changed, but no matter what settings I set in the shortcode, it's using the default settings. Weird.