Sign in to follow this  
jcritty

CSS Questions!

jcritty

Decided to group a bunch of questions together in one post! Any help you can give is hugely appreciated. The website in question is sj.jeremycrittenden.com HOMEPAGE: I've told WP to start users at a page called "welcome". Because I want features on this page, but not ALL other pages, I think I need a new page template. Following the instructions in the customize plugin doesn't seem to have done anything. I made a page.front.php and placed it in the plugin's folder, but no dice. Only the usual templates exist in the Pagelines>Templates editor. Once the template exists, I want a two column content box. One column displaying a list of News items (a custom post type) and the other with blog posts. I also need to change the text color in the content column to better contrast with the bg color of the content section. Something like this... Screen-Shot-2011-12-09-at-4.56.40-PM.png NAVIGATION Would love to center it at the top. POSTS/PAGES: Is there a way to customize the height of the branding section on ALL OTHER sections of my site (leaving out the welcome page)? I have an image that blends in with the feature on the welcome page, but I'd like to show the image throughout the site. As soon as the page doesn't have a feature, it's covered by content. Hope some pros out there can help a guy out!

Rob
Apologies, but I'm going to reply to each issue, one at a time. On the issue of features showing up on only the homepage, did you create a static homepage? If so, which page template did you use? Normally, for my sites, I like the feature slider too, and use the Feature Page template. When I do, I go into the Template editor and ensure that the components I want are there on that template and no-where else. For example, I remove the feature slider from any other pages or areas where I don't want it to appear by dragging and dropping it out of places where it may appear. I'm not sure if I'm communicating this clearly, so please forgive me. You go into Dashboard > PageLines > Templates, select Page Templates from the graphic map on the left (of two). Then, below, you'll see the various pages appear and you can drag 'n drop accordingly there.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Rob
Navigation... You'll need to adjust the numbers, but here's the basic premise: [code]#menu-nav{ width: 440px; margin-left: 260px; }[/code] This goes into Custom Code in CSS Rules. Try it and let us know if it works.

Rob
One way might be to make the most commonly used header branding image the default, then apply a smaller image to the home page only using CSS. Unfortunately, CSS is not my best skill. One of my colleagues may have a different solution, so I'd suggest rejecting this answer or simply replying that you need more help.

jcritty
Hey Rangelone, Advice on using the feature template is perfect. That's essentially what I was trying to do, just naming it differently. Would still love to know how to create new templates, tho. CSS for nav center didn't work....

Rob
Okay. Jenny or Catrina come in later and are much better with CSS than I am. I could easily tell how to make a new template in PlatformPro, but in 2.0, I'm also on a learning curve. If you can be patient, I will happily research it. Have you looked in our new docs? http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/

lburns
Hello, I have been trying to enter css edits into the customization plug-in style.css file via editor, but it didn't render all my changes. I then just entered the style into the Custom Code section under Pagelines/Settings (Pagelines 2.0) and it worked. Any ideas as to why the plugin style sheet is not rendering all changes? This works just fine using the editor: #footer li a:hover {text-decoration:none;color:#CCCCCC;} But this wouldn't work at all UNLESS I put it in the custom code section: #nav .searchform .searchfield {background-color: #FAFAFA;} Thanks -

Danny
Hmm, not quite sure why your searchform code didn't work as I tried it and it worked for me ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

Danny
Cool!

myohanan
No info on creating templates in the wiki. I've tried both the old way (platformpro) to create a template and the new way (pagelines 2.0). The old way almost worked, but couldn't register the templates in the page section (where you indicate which template a new page has). Any help would be much appreciated.

myohanan
So, for example - like in PlatformBase - pages.about.php is created in the customize-pagelines plug-in folder with [code]

kastelic
You need to name it page.about.php , not pages.about.php And no need to register in functions.php anymore, just make the file and add the Template Name as you have done.

myohanan
Sorry the pages.about.php was an error in my post. I actually have the correct naming structure in my pagelines-customize folder. I have removed the register in my functions.php and double checked the naming structures and template names. What else could be the problem?

kastelic
Could you try disabling all plugins, especially caching plugins? Where exactly does it not show up, when you go to edit a page and select Template under Page Attributes?

Simon
the customize plugin will attempt to copy the page template into your active theme folder, if it does not have permission to do so it just wont. WordPress insists on havng page tepmplates in the active theme folder, no way around this. So copy your new template into the theme folder. Oh and delete the one from the customize folder, no use it trying to copy every time ;)

jcritty
pross, I tried doing that and it still doesn't show up as a page template in Admin>Pagelines>Templates

jcritty
in wp-content/themes/platformpro

Danny
@jcritty, To create a new template in Platform Pro, use the following instructions. For this example, I will call my new template Awesomesauce. 1. Open your favourite text editor and add the following code: [code]