Sign in to follow this  
seerinteractive

What Permalinks are allowed?

seerinteractive

I've used WordPress a fair amount but this is my first project using Pagelines Pro. I have the most updated version of Wordpress and Pagelines 1.5. I generally like to set my sites up with this permalink structure: /%category/%postname%/ I would be fine however just using /%postname%/ Right now no permalink structure is working for me except for default. The only recommendations I've seen from searching the forums is to modify the .htaccess file which I am not sure how to do. Any step by step instructions that I could take to get a custom structure working would be greatly appreciated.

Rob
Here's my best suggestion, even though the permalinks issue is solely WordPress and not theme based. 1. FTP into your site and CHMOD the .htaccess file to 777. 2. Go to Dashboard > Settings > Permalinks and change your permalink structure as you wish. I've found that search engines love /%postname%/%post_id% or in reverse. That's worked very well to jump my site from 300,000 pageviews monthly to 2Million. 3. Save. The changes to .htaccess are written dynamically. You won't see the code on the screen to add to .htaccess because WordPress will have already done it. 4. Return to your site via FTP and return the CHMOD of .htaccess to 644. Your permalinks will be updated.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

cfimortgage
Put your permalinks back to default then then use custom and use: [code]/%postname%[/code] The / at the end might be giving you issues, but you want to set it back to default first so it can rebuild the list.

stoltz
I don't know if I understand what you are trying to achieve correctly, but I'll try to answer. I don't see any reason why you should go into your .htaccess file to do this. The structure you are trying to achieve can be defined in your wordpress settings under the choice permalinks. Go into your WP admin panel and go down to settings and click on permalinks. You can then define a custom permalink strukture and use that. I apologize in advance if I've misinterpreted your question and given an answer that is basically barking up the wrong tree ;-)

seerinteractive
Thanks everyone for the quick feedback. Rangelone, I actually don't have access to the FTP right now as this is a project at my job and our programmer is not in for the next few days and he keeps control over the access to the our hosting accounts. I tried re-setting to default and then using /%postname% but I am still getting 404's on all my pages. I checked the html paths and they changed correctly but they just won't show, I have no idea what the deal is. I've made probably 15 sites on WordPress and I have always been able to change the permalinks which is why I thought it must be related to the Pagelines theme. I've got my hands tied because I really can't use the default settings so if anyone from Pagelines has any additional feedback or ideas i'd appreciate it.

Simon
I think your permalink should be /%postname%/ You actually need both the slashes. As long as the htaccess file is writable by the web process wordpress will rebuild it for you when you click save on that page.