Sign in to follow this  
israelgenealogy

How do I make the main page different than the default?

israelgenealogy

How do I set up the entry page to be different than the default for the whole site? I know how to assign a specific page to use a different template, but how do I do that for the main entry page? Thanks.

Kate
Hello, There are basically two options. First, you could assign a static page as the home page, and then assign that page a specific template. (eg: Feature, Highlight, etc.). You could also register a new template specifically for the home page, and use that. We'd be happy to give you direction with either of those.

israelgenealogy
Thanks. I know I've seen the option to assign a static page to the home page, but can you please remind me where I do that?

tranceandy
Admin CP - Settings - Reading - Front page displays - A static page (select below) and choose the page you created.

israelgenealogy
Great. Thank you. Now I need to figure out how Features and Boxes work. Is there a good tutorial for creating these? Can I have a box that shows an excerpt of the latest post (in a specific category)? Can I insert a widget into a box? If I use the standard Features page, I get the Feature at the top, followed by 3 boxes, followed by the page content (with sidebars). I've set it up as suggested with a static page, but is there a way to insert the same blog content that would have been there before at this point? A shortcode to insert into the page? Thank you for your help.

israelgenealogy
I'm guessing from what I'm looking at that boxes cannot have excerpts or any kind of automated content. I hope that's not the case, but if it is I have two questions: 1) How do you determine the order of the boxes that display on a page? I created a box-set for the three boxes I wanted to show, but they are displaying in reverse order of what I created, and I don't want them in that order. 2) Is there a way to present something similar to boxes, but with excerpts or widgets or any kind of automatically updated content? Thank you.