Sign in to follow this  
saltydisciple

Content width question.

saltydisciple

Is it possible to change the content area's width in a post page so that it starts with a 640px main content + 320px sidebar1, then after the sidebar content the main content would go to full width, so 960px? Any help on this is much appreciated!

Kate
Are you looking to get the content to "flow" around the sidebar? And, only on a specific page, or on all post pages?

saltydisciple
Hi Kate! Thank you for replying! I am trying to get the content to do something like you can see on this page: [url="http://creation.com/focus-on-jesus"]http://creation.com/focus-on-jesus[/url] And this should apply to all Post pages.

kastelic
Its not possible to do it like that because the content is seperated into distinct columns, so you can't have the content go outside its container. You would have to have a full-width template and then in the content editor, make a sidebar that floats right and don't clear it after the float. You could do this with HTML and CSS, although it would be static on each page, or possible with some sort of widget area plugin. Another idea would be to use a hook to insert your own widget area in the beginning of the content area, floated right.

saltydisciple
Thanks kastelic! That hook section sounds good, how exactly could I achieve this using hook? I need to edit the post content area section by adding a widget area in there? Should I edit the postloop or content section? Should I do the modifications to customize pagelines function.php or to some other place? Thanks in advance for the reply!

Rob
Salty, you need the PageLines Customize plugin which is free and available via the Store. When it's downloaded and activated, I'd suggest FTPing into your site and CHMODing wp-content/plugins/pagelines-customize/functions.php to 777. You might also want to do the same with style.css found there, too. From Dashboard > Plugins > Editor use the drop list to go to PageLines Customize, where you can select the functions.php file and edit it, saving your edits with the blue button under the editing field. Without the CHMOD, you would not see the save option. Functions.php there tells you where to add your code.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur