Sign in to follow this  
jcritty

CSS Cheat Sheet?

jcritty

Loving 2.0, but missing many of the color controls and things that have gone away for simplicity's sake. It would be cool if there was a document with the css information for the commonly edited things... backgrounds of section and pages, h1, h2, h3 etc. on pages and the like. I've tried using firebug but haven't had much success in my work. I love the help we get on this forum, but could often skip tonnes of searching with a cheat sheet.

Jenny
I agree. Nothing exists at the moment, and I'm not sure if any plans are set to make one. But yeah.. it would be helpful.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

ryanvarley
What would be more useful is a guide to css and firebug (going a bit beyond the videos). I might put one together soon. [i]Give a man some CSS code and he'll change a tiny part of his site, teach him to use CSS and firebug and he'll be able to change the whole site forever.[/i]

catrina
There is a Firebug tutorial here: http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/index.php?title=CSS_Customization For now, the best CSS guide I can think of is this: http://www.w3schools.com/css/

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

Jenny
I see Catrina's answer was rejected. Was there something else you needed?

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

ryanjohnjackson
I find firebug in firefox or "inspect element" in chrome to be great but I frequently see Pros post IDs/Classes that I never see in firebug/inspect element. These are IDs and Classes that are specific to pagelines and I just don't know how you guys find them because I don't see them in my rendered site but they work when I paste them into my CSS. Can't think of an example at the moment.

jcritty
I'm looking for the specific css classes and elements that are specific to pagelines. I find I've been searching endlessly through the forums, but much has changed in 2.0, so what worked to "center main navigation" in the last version doesn't work anymore. But If we had a "here's the css info you need to add or change styles to the main navigation" or h1 text in a blog post or page, etc. etc, it would save a great deal of time.

Jenny
@jcritty I'm sorry but we don't have these available at this moment. I agree it would be a big help. What I suggest is just posting a new question with a few CSS tweaks and get your answers that way (until a doc has been made). Hope that is acceptable, for this post at least. :)

jcritty
Will do! Thanks for all your great help.

wendygordon
i agree. sometimes, even with firebug it is really hard to know what is what. ESPECIALLY would be helpful for the menus and submenus, since these are so complicated. Oh.. font sizes also.

chasenet
Totally back the idea of a CSS cheat sheet or guide to editing specific CSS elements. Would be very useful for folks like me! Understand the teach a wo/man to fish metaphor but I'm never going to learn CSS inside out - just don't have the time and a guide would really help.

gftservices
+! on the need for a cheat sheet. Loosing so many controls and with so many changes to the CSS structure in 2.0, I'm back to painful, lengthy trial and error to figure out what div and classes actually control what, where !important is required to make things work (most things), identifying conflicts etc etc etc It's a real usability headache. So if the aim is to make things simple, this is the ONE major draw back fro Pagelines > it is anything but simple to actually style the site > the new 'simpler' approach only makes it harder to do in practice.

lulu
Another vote for a cheat sheet! I just upgraded to 2.0. The functionality is terrific, but I am so disappointed with the paucity of styling choices. Instead of focusing on content, I am spending most of my time with firebug looking for the right identifier for a simple style change.

slingr
You might check out my listing and map of Pagelines Framework ID and Class selectors: http://ndividuate.com/pagelines-framework/. It's not complete given all the different template options, plugins, etc., but it's a start.