Sign in to follow this  
yemoonyah

Installing BuddyPress

yemoonyah

I bought Pagelines Pro about a year ago, and one of the main reason was BuddyPress and BBPress compatibility. But I didn't get around to really install and use it until 2 months ago. Then, one month ago, I got the notice of Platform 2.0. coming out. So I bought it right away because I got to really enjoy PFP and I assumed BP would be integrated as well (as there was no preview on features). Now I had to find out that support for BP was cancelled for now (and I won't even get into how frustrated I am about this!) So I'm back to Pagelines Pro and am trying to set up BP (and no, Vanilla Forums won't do as they lack the social features I need). All the old docs are gone, so I dug around the forums and found the link to the old support video. I installed BuddyPress and BP templates pack. No BP compatibility link showed up in the Appearance tab but BP itself led me through the set up process. I got till step 4 where I have to choose the theme to use for BP. Now, my first question (I'm sure I will be back for more) would be which theme to choose? BP tells me that both Platform Pro and Platform Base are compatible. I already know that Pagelines 2.0 does not make use of Base and as I do want to upgrade as soon as a BP plugin comes out, I don't think Base is the right option. But if I tell BP to use PlatformPro, will it still all show up right in Base (which is activated right now)? Thanks

Jenny
Have you looked at this tutorial?: http://www.pagelines.com/docs/buddypress

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Rob
If you're using Pagelines Framework 2.0, then you can't use either PlatformPro or PlatformBase. Buddypress will work, to the best of my knowledge, with 2.0, however, we've experienced a number of CSS errors that are somewhat difficult to repair and there may be some inconsistencies. I've not yet tested 2.0 with BP and intended to wait until the integration is completed by, I think, their developers. Buddypress does have some interesting social networking functions which Vanilla forums don't have on the surface. However, if you installed it, you'd find there are hundreds of Vanilla plugins that replicate many of the best of BP's features. I'm very sorry about this delay in integration and realize how important both Buddypress and bbPress are to many PageLines clients. We're looking forward to working with their developers as soon as possible to ensure there's integration and everyone may have the websites they want most.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

yemoonyah
@simple_mama I have looked at the video tutorial but it does not answer my question @rangelone Thanks for the quick answer. Currently I'm using PagelinesPro as I was under the impression that 2.0 does not work with BP at all. So my question was about Platform Pro, not Pagelines 2.0. In the meantime I will have another look at Vanilla but it would also be good to get a timeframe on the upcoming integration between PL 2.0 and BuddyPress/bbPress. So please let us know as soon as possible. It might spare us and the Pagelines team a lot of frustration.

Jenny
You should always use PlatformBase as your active theme. It's best for modifications and such. But that honestly won't matter. It should work regardless of whichever theme you have selected.

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

yemoonyah
@simple_mama I do have PlatformPro Base theme activated but my question is this: If BuddyPress is set up to work with Base, will it still work after I upgrade to Pagelines Platform 2.0 which does not recognize the base theme ?

Jenny
I have not attempted to use BuddyPress with 2.0 so I can honestly not tell you one way or the other if it will work. But what I can tell you is that PlatformBase will not work with 2.0. PlatformBase is a child theme of PlatformPro.