Sign in to follow this  
ryanjohnjackson

2.0 and iOS issues?

ryanjohnjackson

Hi, I have an iphone and an ipad. My prior site showed up fine on those devices in 1.x but in 2.0 the menus pile up and the columns are crunched. Plus the text is sized wrong. The text issue was fixed by not using "em" for text reference in my 1.x css. I haven't had a chance to test that this time. That won;t help with columns though. I turned off the "mobile" stuff but it still looks really bad. I can't use this if it does that on those devices. What do you think it is? Has anyone tested their sites on their iOS and Android devices? I would assume so?

ryanjohnjackson
Is it possibly "response with percent width" causing the issue? I thought I had that on for my prior sites.

ryanjohnjackson
I thought part of this was it needed to be fixed width but nope the columns and content area are actually thinner than on iOS than other browsers. I'll have to check if this is Safari related.

Simon
if you install the browsercss plugin, you can target the iphone directly in css with .iphone If you get some good looking rules, i will add them into core. Unfortunately iphones and ipads are not part of the dev kit lol

ryanjohnjackson
OK, since I'm at work I'm doing more testing. 1. At home I was using Lion/Chrome and the layout looked like it use to look. Not a cache issue. 2. At work in Ubuntu/chrome it looks like Lion/Chrome 3. At work on windows 7 with Chrome/Safari/Firefox and on my iOS devices the sidebars looks squished. For now I'm going to rip out all my custom css and start from scratch. That took me like 12 hrs to do. I am still new to css and this. But I don't remember putting in any css that should make columns appear different widths per browser type? I only used standard margin and padding CSS when it comes to the columns except opacity.

ryanjohnjackson
Pross, Sadly, iOS and windows 7 with chrome/ff/safari and show up the same (not how I want it) and ubuntu and lion with chrome show up another way, (the way 1.x worked) I have all the free plug-ins installed already but not sure what to do with them since I don't see any options or settings.

ryanjohnjackson
Below is a screenshot. The main os is ubuntu and the VM is win 7 both running the same version of chrome. The screens are opened to full width but the menu in win7 is squished more than ubuntu and the sidebar is squished. The menu in ubuntu is only showing wrong because I am messing with settings. [img]http://i.imgur.com/k97Fy.png[/img]

ryanjohnjackson
It looks like what I left of my old css that seemed to be working must of had something that somehow squishes the column in 2.0. So it's CSS specific. Again I don't remember using anything that would effect widths of columns per browser. The only thing that was browser specific was opacity settings. Have to start over I guess. I'm getting faster though so it shouldn't be as bad as it was first time around.

ryanjohnjackson
No, thank you though ;) I just ripped it all out and I've been recreating it. My only issue is iphone seems to like making the main content area a bit larger than it is for an actual pc/mac browser. I assume this is for reading purposes on a small device. I'll have to check the ipad when I get home to see if it's an iOS thing or iPhone specific iOS thing. Then I will mess with the browser specific css plugin as Pross recommended. For the most part I cleaned up my "learning" style sheet to look like a normal style sheet heh. Blessing in disguise. Thanks again ;)