Sign in to follow this  
pagelineuser

Pagelines Upgrade

pagelineuser

On May 7th, 2011, I began what I hoped would be a long relationship with Pagelines by purchasing a license for $100. I must say that the product has not been as intuitive as it was touted to be and that the support documentation has been frustrating (although the forum is useful). Half a year later, I am offered a 50% discount for an upgrade that costs twice the price. In other words, I'm paying $100 all over again. While I appreciate the hard work that goes into major upgrades and feel such upgrades should be compensated, this pricing does not strike me, the buyer, as reasonable. Just my two cents and it's what's keeping me from upgrading.

bisharata
I completely agree, although I wasn't as smart as you, and--in a haste--I spent the money for the upgrade. Fortunately, I can't figure out how to install 2.0 because there are no instructions/directions. Good thing, after reading all of these comments on the forum about how 2.0 has messed up their site, I'm ironically thankful that Pagelines has such poor documentation for how to use their products. I would like a refund, since I won't be using this upgrade, and to be honest, I don't think I even need it--I keep trying to submit this request about how to initiate a refund through the "contact us" part of their site, but it won't work. How can a company that sells websites have such a poor website themselves? Maybe they will see this comment and figure how that I've been trying to get in touch with them all day. That would be nice.

Simon
The contact form is now fixed, within the last 90s. Feel free to email hello@pagelines.com to initiate a refund, or use the contact form.

pagelineuser
Some of what you mention, bisharata, perplexes me as well. Pagelines' unique selling point is the drag and drop feature (by the way, it's not really drag and drop, it's more like select from menu) which differentiates Pagelines from its competitors and which, I think, is the reason for its popularity. However, that feature does NOT translate into ease of use and crystal clear documentation. Therefore, the very market they are aiming for -- novice developers and bloggers like me -- get angry and frustrated with the product. I have no doubt that one can make nice pages with Pagelines, and I also know that there are people on the board responsive to assisting, but my point is that it is NOT in fact an easy to use platform. If I didn't have the guilt of having spent money on it, I would eagerly take my money back and either use a free theme, or else purchase a premium wordpress theme. I'm in over my head with Pagelines and it has been more time consuming to achieve my fairly simply objectives with the product than I could have done without it.

Jenny
The drag & drop function is most definitely.. drag & drop. Have you visited the Templates section? That's all that entire section is. It doesn't get any more clearer than dropping a "carousel" into a "category page".

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

pagelineuser
Well, yes, I have visited the Templates section, but now that you mention it, may I be the first to say: it's [i]not[/i] drag and drop. Drag and drop involves the actual object: the way it works is you're looking at a canvas and placing/changing/manipulating items on the canvas itself. For example, in Filemaker Pro, you drag and drop photos, or fields, or blocks, directly on the page you're designing. You don't do it once removed. That's a significant difference because you see things in real time, making your choices and configurations on the fly and you don't have to go back and forth between the setup panel and the canvas. I don't think there's any doubt about what drag and drop means and Platform Pro is not using the term properly. Platform Pro gives you the ability to drag and drop items REPRESENTING objects -- NOT the ACTUAL objects -- in the Templates section. In fact, much of the labor is done via the Wordpress interface in a manner that is not significantly different if at all from any other theme, free or premium. In addition, the Platform checkboxes and other Platform specific options available on Wordpress authoring pages also don't occur on the actual object; you still have to confirm your settings by looking at the page and returning to the setup panel.

slingr
@simple_mama, I'm disappointed in your "It doesn't get any more clearer than dropping a "carousel" into a "category page" comment and ask you to reconsider that statement given your role. Of course if you already know how to do something, "it doesn't get any more clearer" than that. I believe you "pros" are here to help us paying customers solve problems with the products that you are representing. I believe I speak for myself and at least a few others in saying that none of us has a problem that a lecture, or an attitude, from you is going to solve.

Jenny
@pagelineuser I still don't understand how you don't think it's drag & drop? If I click "profiles", I can [b]drag[/b] it over to the left into a feature page, and release my mouse button to [b]drop[/b] the profile section in place. How is that not drag & drop? @slingr Honestly you have probably been using 2.0 for longer than I have. I only performed my 2.0 install less than 48 hours ago. So considering what I said as a "lecture" or an "attitude" couldn't be further from the truth.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

pagelineuser
@simple_mama: First of all, I am referring to Version 1.5.3. Are you referring to the same version I am? If you read the thread starter, you'd see that I have not purchased version 2. Maybe I'm not seeing something that you see. Perhaps I'm dense (I'm open to criticism) and need to find the profiles you're referring to. My point is: You are dragging and dropping [i]something[/i] -- you're just not doing it to the actual object. Here is the Wikipedia description: "The basic sequence involved in drag-and-drop is: Press, and hold down, the button on the mouse or other pointing device, to "grab" the object, "Drag" the object/cursor/pointing device to the desired location, "Drop" the object by releasing the button." What I'm saying is that in Pagelines, you don't drag [u]the object[/u] because you're not looking at the object (i.e., the actual page with components you would expect to drag and drop from a sidebar onto the page) you are looking at a setup page. Yes, you drag and drop items on the setup page, but the setup page is not the object: The actual object is the page or the banner or the box you are trying to move and configure. You can't drag and drop these while looking at the page. The setup page merely represents the page, but you don't know what the page looks like until you switch from the template setup area to the actual page.

Rob
@pagelinesuser Thank you for much of your informative feedback. I think everyone's confusion here stems from two things. First, you selected "Product Support" as the topic for this discussion rather than selecting the correct product you needed support for. Second, having just released PageLines Framework, in your commentary throughout, you're referring, it seems, to PlatformPro as "Pagelines" which is leading everyone on our team to believe you're discussing the new product. Your original post in this topic was not actually a request for specific support, so naturally, we're unsure what to do to answer your commentary. If you're referring to PlatformPro's 'drag 'n drop' functionality, it is exactly as touted. You can drag a function such as Boxes onto a page template, simply by clicking, dragging and dropping the item, then saving it. Please compare that to contemporary themes when PlatformPro came out, when you had to literally write code, embed snippets or other scripting into files in order to make things work. A browse through old plugins found at http://www.wordpress.org/extend/plugins will prove this point admirably as almost every one of them says to embed some piece of code somewhere, like page.php, etc. PlatformPro set the standard for drag and drop functionality that most other themes copied. In regard to being forced or compelled to spend any additional money, we're not forcing anyone to do so. We offered an upgrade price to existing PlatformPro clients in order to give them a fair opportunity to obtain our new product. PlatformPro still works and will still work. We'll likely come out with a maintenance update in coming weeks, though I have no ETA on that. If you're having a problem with a specific function, and I'm sorry if I missed it given this blizzard of comments and support enquiries we're getting, please be kind enough to open a topic for the support request and I assure you it will be promptly and completely supported, as we have with more than 15,000 others.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur