Sign in to follow this  
rbarsalo

Need to change Platform Base before or after update to 2.0? Where is it?

rbarsalo

Did not find the instructions for updating a site that I did a lot of custom work in the child theme "Platform base". Any idea where I can get infos? and the updated base file? Merci.

NearlyJen
Yes. Me too, please. Same boat. Bought 2.0 and can't figure out how to integrate with existing PlatformPro customization.

Lapsed vagabond and reformed ne'er-do-well.

Nice to meet you. 

Simon
2.0 does not use a child theme for custom code/css as you would never be able to use a child theme through the store. There is a 'customization' plugin that contains style.css and functions.php to emulate the old child theme methods.

rbarsalo
Where can I read about this? Pageline mentionned that if we did the customization in the child theme, it would make updates invisible in a sense... that is why I did everything in the child theme... a bit worried if I can't read the consequences before. Invloved in a lot of design customization these days. Do you mean that if I copy the css codes and other infos on the custom code page, I will just need to paste it somewhere in a page of the 2.0 platform or I will have to install a plugin?

Simon
ok, i'll try and make it super clear: [b][u]1.5[/u][/b] Uses platformbase as a childtheme for custom code and css, main files are in platformpro folder. PlatformPro can be updated without losing edits in platformbase folder. [i][b]2.0[/b][/i] Uses a custom plugin called 'pagelines-customize' with style.css and functions.php to emulate a child theme, main files live in pagelines folder, editable files are in plugins/pagelines-customize/ Framework can be updated without deleting the plugin, plus child themes can now be bought and activated.

Sourena
I couldn't download "pagelines-customize" plugin. Is there any problem?

alefba.us

Web Development & Design for Right-to-Left languages

rbarsalo
Thanks for the effort pross, The part that's not quite clear is "[i]Uses a custom plugin called 'pagelines-customize'[/i]"... I don't see it in the plugin section. Is it activated automatically? Do I have to do anything or just activate 2.0 and it will integrate my custom code that was in the childtheme automatically and then, in the future, that code will never be updated? Sorry to be so precise, did not find any documentation on this. A setup documentation about the changes and these kinds of tweeks would have beeen a great help ;- )

NearlyJen
Yep, I'm running through all of this on a test site right now. Instead of a child theme, you use a customization plugin...or you still have the option to paste into a Custom Code section, but you shouldn't because it isn't a child theme. I had heavy customization and NOTHING is the same. I think that 2.0 is going to be pretty spectacular, but I may as well be redesigning my site. As for the plugin, it has to be installed directly through WP using FTP. Which is a pain, because I use WinSCP and have avoided using the WP FTP. But (deep breath) everything is going to be oooookkkkkkk......

Lapsed vagabond and reformed ne'er-do-well.

Nice to meet you. 

Simon
@rbarsalo its right there under store/plugins/add plugins/free

puntNL
So,you must choose between a customization plugin or a childtheme?

rbarsalo
OK got the plugin activated... but don't see any new interface to include the new code (in fact, I don't see anywhere I can interact with it?)? In the custom code page, I just had to send the changes to the regular Pageline css file... I did not have a new css, just additions to it saved in the custom code box. AT least that's how I understood it... How does the plug in read the changes? There is absolutely no infos on the plugin page other than somebody having problems... not quite reassuring? ;- )

Simon
Well those comments are not really very helpful. You can still use the custom code box, nothing to stop you there, it adds the css to the end of the dynamic-css block. Te customization files are located in plugins/pagelines-customization/ You can actually edit them with the wordpress plugin editor ;)

rbarsalo
Thanks pross. Found it. So I will stick for now to pasting in the custom code for now since I am in the middle of production. And when everything is ok, I will copy the custom code in the css of the plug-in (and remove the custom code in Pageline) and that should do the trick? Hope you have better documentation soon, so you can have less of "obvious" quetions like this...

Simon
[quote]And when everything is ok, I will copy the custom code in the css of the plug-in (and remove the custom code in Pageline) and that should do the trick?[/quote] Yes :)