Sign in to follow this  
josh_g0uk

PageLines FrameWork Upgrade Price

josh_g0uk

Received an email (first I've have had) this morning offering a 50% discount on Framework 2.0 as an upgrade. Looking at the Pagelines' affiliates page http://www.impactradius.com/campaign-campaign-info/PageLines-Partner-Program.brand it seems that also offers affiliates 50%. So, existing users are really just paying (close to) the same as the affiliate purchase price. That doesn't seem "generous" to existing users/loyal customers. Essentially, double the price of the old PlatformPro and then offer a 50% discount so you're back at the old price again. Never had an upgrade price that is almost identical to the original software price. Never. And $100 for an upgrade? OS X Lion was $30 and that's a heck of a lot more coding than Framework 2.0. Maybe PageLines has a small user base and those users have to pay a proportionally higher fee to get the development work done. Have tried the Framework 2.0 demo http://demo.pagelines.com/ today and it feels pretty similar to PlatformPro . . . for the core functions, I can't see any reason (for ME!) to upgrade. Frankly, the *discounted* price just isn't appealing. I think I'm likely to ween the sites I work with off PageLines in 2012. I don't want to lock sites into PageLines and then face unwieldy fee hikes every year. Finally, a Q. PlatformPro had PlatformBase (activated) and PlatformPro installed at the same time. Can't find anywhere to say if the set-up is similar in Framework. Is it? On the demo site, it only had Framework 2.0.

javierojuel
I have the same opinion about it. I purchased Platform Pro dev on April and since then there has not been any mayor upgrade. If I upgrade again, will i have to pay again when they add any minor change? I am thinking to change to Woothemes, at least for 400$ I will have a lot more posibilities. Think also what you can get for 400$ in Themeforest: more than 10 awesome themes with great funcionalities. In my opinion, Platform Framework is a good business... for them.

kastelic
Just so you know you will get lifetime free upgrades for Framework 2.x. And with the dev license you get to install on Unlimited sites for your clients, so for a web developer that actually starts to look cheap by the end of the year, if you consider that many Themeforest themes are only licensed for a single site, or at the most, 3 sites. As as far as the average user goes, say you have a certain vision in your mind for your website, but you don't have that much development skill so you need to hire a developer to do part of the work. In my experience, you are going to have to hire out a lot less on a Pagelines theme than a Themeforest theme. Pagelines is really unique in that it gives a lot more power and control for both average users, and developers. So you can do a lot more yourself before its time to call the developer, and when you do hire out some of the work, its going to take a lot less development work, which is typically pretty costly by the hour. So by the end of your project you will probably have spent much less if you use Pagelines, due to the high costs of customizing regular themes. Then you have the massive number of extensions you are going to be seeing in the store, free and premium. What you see in there now is only the tip of the iceberg. Just my opinion, yes I know i'm biased because I'm a moderator here, but its something to think about.

josh_g0uk
Yesterday I got a 50% off voucher. Today, I've received a 25% off voucher. Can both be used together? (LOL) Think most WordPress users run their own sites: that's certainly the case of the people/businesses that I know. PageLines is nice and makes certain things easier, but it isn't a killer-app (IMO). Most people would happily work within the confines of a lesser theme, rather than run to hundreds of bucks for PageLines. Even the free PageLines themes will satisfy most WP users/most WP sites.

stormyplanet
I also agree with the previous posters and I guess it comes down to whether or not people think it's worth it. The tour at the top of this site seems to be pretty vague and not very exciting. In my case, I don't think it's worth it.

kgstew
Thanks for the feedback. @josh_g0uk sorry can't use both coupons, the 50% is for anyone who is already a part of PageLines. We agree that the free theme does satisfy most users on WP sites, that why it was the most downloaded "theme" framework on WordPress.org. That was great and a Free PageLines LE version is due in the near future. PageLines is for professionals to give them a platform to design and build sites faster and easier than ever before. Everybody could go out and use weebly but if you want a professional website without compromising we think you should come to PageLines. Cheers, -Kyle

x3mgroup
Kgstew THAT'S TOTALLY NOT TRUTH, I JUST TESTED, BY ENTERING A COMPLETE NEW USER ON THE PURCHASE PAGE AND THEN APPLYING THE 50% DISCOUNT CODE! THIS WAS ACCEPTED!!! SO IN MY OPENION THIS IS AN INSULT TO ALL OWNERS OF THE PREVIOUS VERSION. WE WHERE TOLD AT THE TIME OF THE PURCHASE THATBWE ONLY WOUL HAVE TO A MINOR UPGRADE FEE! PLEASE, PAGELINES GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!!!

aemillerco
What a joke. Oh and we will get LIFETIME UPGRADES? Awwww... that's sweet but you will just come out with version 3 and screw us like you did with version 2! I had lifetime upgrades on the last version that are now worthless. Thanks, but no thanks. I am moving on.

pastrami00
@aemillerco I agree. For $197 this theme is really just a rearranged version of platform pro with a lot of features removed and a store so we can buy them back. Judging by the strange launching, abandonment of prior customers, and poor marketing, PageLines seems to be a company run by engineers and not business people. There's a popular saying in sales, "never let engineers near the customers." PageLines is proving that correct.

cartschris
Whether or not Pagelines considers "Pagelines Framework" a different product from "PlatformPro" is irrelevant. To most users "Pagelines Framework" looks like an slight upgrade from "PlatformPro". That being the case, it is frustrating that we just had to dish out $198.50 for what most of us were expecting to receive as a free update with our "PlatformPro" purchase. As aemillerco mentioned, it appears all Pagelines has to do is rename their software to prevent its customers from receiving the updates/support they expected to receive with their initial purchase. Pagelines, it seems to me you should refund the money that existing users shelled out for this "upgrade", and allow those who haven't paid you yet a means to get the free upgrade they expected when purchasing PlatformPro. It appears you're in the process of ruining your reputation, which until now has been stellar.

virplay
Yo tampoco entiendo muy bien la poilitca de los que hace Pageline. Creo que se est??n equivocando y enfadando a sus usuarios. Como sigan asi se van a crear una mala reputaci??n online y este no hay marcha atr??s Espero que se den cuenta y corrijan sus fallos Sorry but my english is not quite good

javierojuel
Version 2.0 has lifetime support... the same I had when I bought some months ago version 1, with no updates since then. And the first one I have to pay "only" 200$ I own also others Wordpress Frameworks as Thesis or Headway. And the lifetime support and upgrades are real.

j0emv
Pagelines emailed on November 4th about the upcoming store and a 50% preorder price. That's how I became aware and made a mental note to keep my eye on things. I ended up snagging the preorder discount but understand the uproar. Pagelines does not compare to woo in the least bit, in my opinion. I don't know of any software company that offers "lifetime" upgrades that includes major revisions. Lifetime in this case means of the product branch/version you purchase. I get updates to windows 7 for the lifetime of that product. Once windows 8 is out, I will have to pay for that upgrade and then eventually microsoft will discontinue support for 7. Apple does it the same way. I purchased Events Calendar Pro for wordpress earlier in the year (1.3 of course) and 2.0 came out in September. We had to pay for an upgrade to 2.0, albeit with a 30% discount but I guess I say all this to say that this is not as unusual as it seems. I agree that pagelines' explanation and handling of the situation is sketchy, but realistically it is not that unusual. Hopefully they will continue releasing bug fixes for platformpro for those folks that decide to stay with it for a period of time.

Jenny
I had to pay for the Apple Lion update less than 3 weeks after purchasing my laptop, but I didn't complain. I had no idea what was in the update, but I bought it anyway.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

cartschris
@j0emv There are companies, such as Image Line, who have told their customers that they would receive free lifetime updates and have stuck by their word. Where companies such as this get continued support is offering plugins/apps that further enhance the original software. It appears that Pagelines is trying to set themselves up to do the same thing with their app store, but instead of offering free updates to the base software, they are charging for it. Not only are they charging for it, they've raised the price considerably and are using shady business practices to get existing customers to pay them even more money for this update. This isn't the best way to encourage existing customers to purchase apps in this new app store. But the real issue here is that Pagelines made their customers expect that they would receive free updates when they initially made their Platform Pro purchase. From other posts on the forum, they justify this by saying Pagelines Framework is different from Platform Pro. Anyone looking at the software can clearly see that Pagelines Framework is just an upgrade from PlatformPro. So Pagelines has simply renamed their software to provide themselves with a way not to provide their promised upgrades to their PlatformPro customers. So this isn't so much a matter of whether it's reasonable that Pagelines charges for updates, but more about Pagelines keeping their word. If they want to charge for updates in the future, they should clearly state that customers will have to do so.

Rob
As this topic is not related to actual technical support, I am closing it. Please address any purchasing concerns to hello@pagelines.com. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding as this forum is intended for technical issues.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur