Sign in to follow this  
robertatpulp

Pagelines 2.0 WOW! What a mess...

robertatpulp

I upgraded our site from pagelines 1.5 to 2.0 and it is awful. I don't even know where to start to fix this mess. Can I not import the settings I saved from the earlier version? See the before and after shots below. Before.jpgAfter.jpg

carl007
am sorry to hear that, i think you should have first backup your site or test 2.0 out before you upgraded it

check my mini blog
www.depictdesign.com

robertatpulp
Hey Carl, I did, and the site is back the way is was. All that was required was to activate the older theme. Thanks for the response, but my question was not how to fix the site. Perhaps I wasn't clear. My question is, is there an easier path to upgrade that does not break this 100+ page site? We had the ability in 1.5 to export our settings. I have a current base theme. Can we not use any of this information to make the transition easier? This is an expensive upgrade and I am surprised at the amount of work that will be required to put it in place. Perhaps I am missing something in the upgrade process. So what am I missing here? Is there some upgrade documentation I haven't found yet?

catrina
There were many changes made in 2.0 and making the transition will take some time, but it's possible. If you have many customizations made in the functions.php file in PlatformBase you can use the Pagelines Customize plugin to add the same customizations. Have you seen this document on what to expect from the upgrade?: http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/index.php?title=What_to_Expect_when_Upgrading

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

Rob Thomas
yeah, I am having an awful lot of trouble too. I did preview it and figured I could just rebuild in the new environment, but it looks like crap and my Features are all messed-up. I deleted one of my feature sets and that enabled me to get more control, but as soon as I started to add it again, it somehow merged all of my features together on the blog page (which is my main page) instead of defaulting to the default features set: in other words, a feature set that I do not want to show up on the main page keeps showing up with the feature set I want and there is no way to stop it from happening.I am sure I will figure it out in time, but it's annoying to have paid money to create problems for myself that perhaps I did not need.

Rob Thomas
blarg, I just went back to Platform Base.

Danny
Hi Daddypony, If you login to you Wordpress Admin Dashboard --> Pages --> Select your Main Page and click edit. Once you're on the Page editor screen scroll down to the PageLines Meta Settings --> Click on "Features" tab and using the "Select Feature Set To Show" select which feature set you wish to have displayed on your Main page. Save your settings and that should do the trick!

Please search our forums, before posting!

Rob Thomas
I'll work on it (after I get some coffee in me). I just built this site a few weeks ago, so I was still learning Platform.

Rob Thomas
Also, WP-125 does not show up as two-column in 2.0 no matter what I set it as, my images (which aren't ads but links to photos), show up as a single column.

slingr
I think a basic misunderstanding stemming from Pagelines management lack of communication is that Pagelines 2.0 is not an "upgrade" to Platform Pro 1.5x ... it's a completely different product. Correct me if I'm wrong. Catrina, thanks for the wiki link, but why should customers have to go search to find that kind of information? Why shouldn't that be provided up front? (Those aren't questions for Catrina but PL management.)

Rob Thomas
update: I wanted to double check this before I reposted it. I never created a "home" page as I usually do. Instead, I kept the default as it came from Pagelines specifically in order to have the front page show a preview of my "latest" posts. Because of this, there is no "main page" that is in my "pages" menu. The issue seems to be that with the website set-up this way (in order to have this functionality) the default is no longer to display the "default-features" but to display all features, which is why I can no longer have this same functionality in 2.0 (Of course, I understand that you did not intend for it to have this functionality and you expect that people would build their websites differently, by assigning a home page, etc, but nonetheless, this was the solution I came up with in order to include a particular blog post on my front page). I do see that there seems to be the ability to include blog content in Features now, so this might be a way I could rebuild the site. But it will take some work. The formatting is also completely different in 2.0. I cannot get the formatting to match Platform no matter what I do. I wish I had an environment to build so that I could leave my main page up while I work on 2.0.

intellagentz
I completely agree with @slingr here re: The lack of concern over nonmenclature. Furthermore, I would point to Albert Einstein's quote: "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" as having some relevance here. I've pre-purchased Framework, thinking it was indeed a major revision to Platform Pro, such that my base theme would be in tact. Clearly, that's not the case and frankly, (as a "non-developer") I don't have the time or energy to be messing around with this. I'd like to get on with running my business (imagine that). And yes, there is a question...anyone have any success with the upgrade that didn't involve excessive re-work?

thorstone137
This is really too bad. As far as I can tell 2.0 is an awesome framework and excluding the circumstances presented here, 2.0 is worth every penny. The problem is it should have never been called 2.0. I'm a buddypress man. I will say that BP is set for a huge surge in adoption and I'm positioning myself to capitalize on it. That's why I purchased 2.0. Think about it. A responsive, drag and drop, multisite, turn-key social network!? I thought Buddypress would be integrated. There has been major improvements to the BP code in the 1.5 release and yet there is still no update making platform 1.5 compatible. We're being told that 2.0 is a separate release yet the ability to purchase the 1.5 version is gone. Everything I see so far tells me it's about to be abandoned. Will it be compatible to WP 3.3? Major note to be taken is that the pageline's lifetime update membership marketing must be taken with a grain of salt!! Next time I would suggest branding each version of the pageline's drag and drop wordpress themes separately and continuing to maintain updates of each theme. Love 2.0! I highly recommend you do what you gotta do to update 1.5 for Buddypress!!

Best Regards! Pagelines = Innovation!

Andrew
@thorstone137 BuddyPress should be supported in the coming weeks/months through a plugin in the store. I apologize for any issues you guys are having when upgrading. I know its a hassle, but we really tried to make it as low impact as possible.

slingr
Sorry, @arpowers, but you're just spouting more happy talk. If you had put in even a tenth of the effort to INFORM YOUR CUSTOMERS about what was (and still is) going on you could have avoided some (not all) of this shitstorm you're facing now. You just don't get it. It doesn't matter how many hours you and your programmers spend pouring over code, that doesn't mean squat if you continue to refuse to directly communicate with your customers on the impacts you are making to their work and their investment in your product. In the last three days I've received 7 different emails from Pagelines trying to "sell" me Pagelines 2.0 or get me to sign up for the affilate program ... even though: 1) I've already entitled to Pagelines 2.0 as a developer member, and 2) I'm already enrolled in the affiliate program (although I have no idea if my account is still active since you changed the terms). How is it that you have the means to pump out all this marketing spam (sending "buy now!" emails to existing customers qualifies as spam in my book), but for some reason you resolutely REFUSE to contact your customers to give them ANY forewarning about what they can expect regarding changes to the products they've purchased, the upgrades their entitled to, the changes to the online documentation and forum, the availability of the wiki, the plans for future support of existing products that are NOT built on the Framework, the impact of the Framework on things like child themes, the philosophy and implementation of "the Store" ... ad nauseum. I am just incensed that your attitude toward your customer base is to NOT INFORM us, but instead MAKE US GO FIND INFORMATION OURSELVES. Guys, that is an immature business philosophy. You're only causing yourself headaches ... I cannot imagine a more textbook-worthy example of the worst possible new product rollout as what has transpired this week. You don't get it, @arpowers ... you shouldn't be issuing a conditional apology for "any issues YOU GUYS are having". You need to issue an apology that admits that YOU GUYS (Pagelines management) screwed up and you in fact DID NOT do an adequate job of communicating to your customers, and you still aren't. You ought to admit how much wasted time, not to mention, frustration, you've caused your customers. And how about doing it by email as a gesture that you recognize its value as being at least comparable to that of your selling spam? Respectfully (to a degree), Steve Stockdale p.s. Please read items in CAPS not as shouting but as text that omits a certain expletive.

j0emv
I'm with slingr. I purchased platform pro in April, I preordered v2.0 thinking it was the next evolution of platform pro. I assumed from the little information out there that it was indeed an upgrade, albeit making it a true framework. I've really enjoyed using platform pro over the last 9 months but now I'm thinking of abandoning ship and moving on to a different framework due to the lack of buddypress support and who knows what else I'm not thinking about right now. What I need most now (all customers that is) is a clear understanding of What Platform Pro -> Framework 2.0 means. What features of platform translate to the framework, and what features will I either be missing or have to rework. I'm really confused about the base theme thing so we need clear communication as to what the differences are and what the upgrade path should look like. I'm really nervous about support gravity forms, woocommerce and various other plugins I use or would like to use..

bestrag
@ arpowers We were wondering about the issue over [url="http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/15762/building-a-community-site-with-pro2#Item_13"]here[/url] as well. So we should wait for few weeks/months for you guys to fix something that you officially released in your [url="http://www.pagelines.com/docs/buddypress"]marketing purposes[/url], and then would it be provided free of charge?

bestrag.net

professional dms plugins 

pastrami00
I concur with everything that has been said and I'll restate what I posted in another thread: Pagelines is a company run by engineers. Engineers do not understand marketing or business. There is a popular saying in sales, "Never let engineers near the customers." It's almost always a fatal mistake. It doesn't matter what is real, it only matters what your customers believe. Right now we believe that you ripped us off. You call this 2.0 but say its a different product. The second line on your Docs Main Page is "What to expect when upgrading." You have support docs, but they are all over the place. We feel like we are in the dark. The product is better you say? Who cares. You have to prove it. You have to show us the benefits. How does PageLines benefit me that platform pro didn't. Because to us, it looks like you rearranged Platform Pro, removed some features and then added a store so that we can buy those features back. You can't wait until we're all disappointed and angry and then try to answer those questions one at a time in a support forum. You need to pick a market. Pick a customer. Are you designing this platform to make it easier for developers to quickly build a site and then customize it or are you building "drag and drop" sites so that "anyone" can build a great looking site. Having your forum admins tell me to "jump in the php files" is ridiculous. I bought a drag and drop theme so that I didn't have to learn what the hell that means. I don't want to know what that means. The fastest way to failure is to try to please everyone. Lastly, It's amazing that you guys have the audacity to keep bragging the lifetime upgrades access. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

slingr
@Pastrami00, I have to respectfully disagree. You've unnecessarily disparaged engineers. I would bet these guys aren't engineers but programmers. Big difference. For one thing, I think engineers would be more attuned to the significance of nomenclature. Pagelines Framework 2.0 is an "upgrade" to Platform Pro 1.5.3? Or is it a new product? But then, do new products launch as version 2.0? And iBlog4 was a standalone theme, but now iBlog5 is a purchased theme that requires Pagelines Framework 2.0? So is iBlog5 an "upgrade" to iBlog4? But then, when do completely non-interchangeable products carry the same name? I don't think most engineers are so arrogant that they would repeatedly ignore their own ignorance like these kids. Oops, I didn't mean to say that. No, I really did.

j0emv
I think they'll get it right. They're designers, maybe not the best marketing shop but they'll get it right. Pagelines is a startup, all startups go through growing pains. It's been 4 days since the release, I'll wait and see what happens next week. Maybe they're back in the country by then...

virplay
Did you go back to 1.5? I am planing to go back, I have lot of issues too

j0emv
No, I'm gathering information before I do the upgrade. I run a multisite network with 90+ blogs using platformpro so I can't take the risk until I'm sure all of the simple things will migrate. What I'll probably do is upgrade the main blog after the holidays and work on the others later. That way I can leave the buddypress blog on platformpro until I'm ready to cutover. From the looks of things though, the upgrade should go fine unless you're using buddypress or have lots of customizations. It may involve a little fixing but should not take too long to upgrade.

virplay
I updated to 2.0 I am fixing some issues. But the problem I am having now and can??t solve are the social buttons I used at home page at excerpts, the dont show anymore

revoltoid
I have been reading the forum for four days now. Something I shouldn't be forced to do when 'upgrading' to a new version of a product. I am supposed to enjoy the benefits of a great product that I have purchased. I post this only too be true to myself and express how disappointed and 'un-happy' I am. And to be honest towards and maybe helpful for Pagelines so that they can work out a structure and practice to take better care of their customers on a nice day. Sadly, I have to agree with many comments above. I am happy to pay for a great product, and Framework is a great one. The only problem is that as someone said, it should not be called 2.0. If I would have been told before 'upgrading' that in the moment I hit 'activate' in Wordpress I instantly convert dozens of hours spent on creating my website into wasted, my expectations would have been different. Now I am left with a file I bought, but afraid to use because I am not sure I have another week to spend on recreating what I have done with 1.5. I guess some people would suggest to Pagelines to use some help from experts in marketing, which they may be already doing. I am sure that the transition from 2.x to 3.x will go much smoother one day, but for now I am confused and uncertain how my website will survive the change and how many hours I will have to spend on coding with a 'drag and drop' solution. Only reason I posted this was to help Pagelines to see clearer by reading one another opinion. I think certain reactions from them should have been already triggered by all the complaints on this forum so I hope they will make clever decisions to take necessary steps and gestures towards their customers which could potentially restore the trust.

stoltz
This debacle is quite interesting as the arguments put forward are partly flawed. 1. If your website is critical then you should have a staging area and not dabble with the production code. This means that you can try out and implement changes so that the Pagelines 2.0 works correctly when going live. If you require that Pageline should live up to existing business standards, then you have to do that yourself. 2. If you have a lot of custom scripts then that is your responsibility as a developing company cannot take responsibility for every "customized" code that people have created out there. Not everyone is using good coding standards or following guidelines - A lot of people hack as long as the solution works. 3. Don't use problem dispersion tactics when something doesn't work because the problem could be caused by custom code etc. I've used a lot of different themes on my website and I've had a lot of things that didn't work when I changed standards, themes etc - But most of it was something that was easy to solve. It's sometimes too easy to point the finger at something that is not always the real cause for problems. 4. Does it matter if Pageline is a company that consists of either engineers, coders or designers? There isn't a nature law saying that one thing is better than the other. They've done a product and there are some problems with it in some cases, the work title of each individual doesn't affect that. Problems could be caused by WP itself and I would say that Pageline is doing a damn good effort to provide something that overcome the models and inconsistencies that inhabits WP - But no one is perfect and every product in the world has it flaws and errors as that depends on the intended use situation and the specific context. 5. There is a lot of opinions in this thread about how Pagelines should have done this and that etc - Everyone seems to be management consultant, marketing expert etc - If people have all these skills, why not offer Pageline some help as the common opinion seems to be that they need it? 6. Pageline is not a perfect company, no company is. But it's way much easier to understand a problem and solve it when it's delivered as a specific problem and not wrapped up in a forrest of meta-problems, like how the company is run, work titles and if Pagelines 2.0 is a product or not - Be short and concise when explaining a problem. 7. Give people some breathing space, a solution to a problem is not easier to fix just because you wanted it yesterday. I'm fairly sure that Pagelines is keeping an eye on the potential problems discussed here - But to be honest, a lot of time goes into pure coordination when people express a problem in the threads. "Help, my website doesn't work" as a starting post in a discussion isn't really a timesaver if you need help. Put some time into explaining what you did leading up to the problem, if you have custom code running and other things that might be important to the process of problem solving. 8. Learn how to deliver feedback because if you just tell people how crappy they are, then you've partly lost them from the start. There's a pattern called "writer's workshop" which I use very often when delivering feedback regarding something people have a personal investment in, code is one example. It's very useful as a good foundation for a create and balanced discussion and it's quite easy to implement. When delivering feedback,start telling people what is good about their solution and then move over to tell them about the things that could have been done better. 9. If you require that Pagelines should act as professionals then you have to live up to that standard as well, or at least be the better person. Starting by saying it's a bad product, it sucks and everything that you can come up with isn't very professional. 10. Emotional arguments don't work in a business and professional environment, if you are angry, upset or something else that could be defined as storming emotions, then take a break and enjoy your coffee for a while. Then go back and think logically about the things that made you angry and write about them. A lot of posts on the web, and maybe here as well, should not probably have been written because they are written in anger and that is usually not very professional. 11. I've upgraded to Pagelines 2.0 and I had some problems, my website went blank was one of them, and that could have easily spurred of a storm of angry mails from me, but it didn't because the problem wasn't related to Pagelines product, it was related to how I had configured my PHP-scripts. So do some serious error checking before reacting. I also sent emails to the Pagelines support in a lot of cases and got help within a couple of hours, so that works. I also had a problem with the store when that was implemented, I mailed the support and that also solved the problem. Isn't way much easier to help Pagelines make their product better than just rant about the things that are not good with it? Constructive criticism is the king in almost every case of product development.