Sign in to follow this  
rockyrockwood

Full Text of posts always showing

rockyrockwood

I'm having the weirdest issue. My darn blog page(s) will not show summaries to save my life. Am I missing a setting somewhere? I have "Post Excerpt Placement" set to "All blog/post pages".... in the old theme the blog page looked like this: TPS5p.jpg Now my blog page looks like this: 5jZCF.jpg No excerpt...no little 'info' bar...and my huge 20 page posts are there in their entirety (and the 'more' code is just not cool for for me)........and also notice how the 3d styling on the sidebar is missing too. Goofy. Any help would be appreciated.

bryan-hadaway
and the 'more' code is just not cool for for me
Do you mean it didn't work for you or you refuse to use it? Just in case it didn't work for you, my advice is to add it where you want to cut the article off in plain text mode:
<!-- more -->
Another possible solution is, from your WordPress Admin, to navigate to: Appearance > Editor > _posts.php then find this code:
the_content
and change it to:
the_excerpt

If it doesn't work to your liking just change it right back. Thanks, Bryan

rockyrockwood

Thanks Bryan, I'll try this. The MORE code will probably work but I really hesitate to make workarounds. I need to get things working right. I'm not passionate about perfection or anything. It's just that I like the way the theme looks - that's why I bought it. Plus, there is the issue of going back through all posts. And then the issue of the more tag would likely interfere with the post 'preview' photo - if done incorrectly. Basically, if I build this site out with a hundred little 'fixes' I'm stuck babysitting it unable to outsource help easily, as so on. Any thoughts on what would make the options in the theme itself disabled? Any reports of this as a problem? Ry

rockyrockwood

I guess the problem is actually bigger than I thought. Somehow I'm losing the Theme's ability to format these posts completely - at least that is my theory. I have recorded a short video in hopes of communicating the problem crystal clear. It may take a minute to load but it will work. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/88896/Blog_format_video.swf Again, thank a ton. Ryan

bryan-hadaway

Okay, one of the more PHP savvy mods might have a better look at your situation, but did you try my second suggestion? Thanks, Bryan

rockyrockwood

Thanks Bryan, I did follow your advice and it corrected the issue of showing only full posts. I guess I'm just uncomfortable working in the backend now. It just makes me wonder what other WHP theme options I've now disabled/modified. Excerpts still don't work. I'm pretty frustrated and not sure what to do.

bryan-hadaway

I understand your frustration, but there's of course a limit to what a theme can do before you have to "go outside of it" to make more advanced alterations depending on how much customization you want to do. So many people want to do so many different things, it would be impossible to have settings to customize every possible scenario, so we're left with no choice, but to get out hands dirty. I'm not aware of any other solutions than the ones that have already been suggested. With your discomfort in messing with the code, it might be time to look into hiring a professional programmer? Thanks, Bryan