Sign in to follow this  
galluzzino

Upgrading from PlatformPro 1.5.3 to Pagelines 2.0

galluzzino

I recently upgraded my theme from PlatformPro 1.5.3 to 2.0. But the new version completely changed the layout and design of my site and places the wrong Features set on the home page. When I went back to PlatformBase 1.4.1 It went back to normal but the theme is still 1.5.3. Is there a step by step instructions on how to update to 2.0? thanks

kastelic
There's no step-by-step yet to my knowledge, here are some warnings about it: http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/index.php?title=What_to_Expect_when_Upgrading Basically it is a whole new framework so it isn't straight-up upgradeable, a lot of settings will have to be redone for the new system.

galluzzino
Thanks kastelic, One more question: is there a child theme for 2.0 like PlatformBase for platform pro, or do you make the changes directly on the theme? thanks again.

kastelic
Yes, there is a child theme that comes free, almost exactly like Base. It can be installed from within the installation in the Store.

dana
@galluzzino - Yes, you should still be using a child theme for customizations in 2.0. Right now there isn't a link to download the base child theme for 2.0 from your pagelines.com account page (like there was in v 1.x), but there IS an easy way to get a copy. Just install Pagelines 2.0 then login to your WordPress dashboard. Under the "Pagelines" section in the left menu go to "Store" then the "Themes" tab. You should see a tab to add themes, and "Base Theme" will be under the free section. Go ahead and install this. Now, login to your server and you'll find the files for "Base Theme" in your "wp-content/themes" directory in a folder called "pagelines-template-theme". Download this whole folder and you'll have a child theme copy to work off of. Good luck!

Simon
Guys hang on, the Base theme is there for developers to create new child themes for the store, if you want to make css edits and have a functions.php like the old 'base' theme install the pagelines-customization plugin, it has the files inside it. If you use a child theme you can never purchase and install another child theme as wordpress does not allow grandchild themes.

galluzzino
Thanks, Pross, dana, kastelic. I guess I need to put the site on a staging server and work again on the CSS. The site I'm working was heavily customized with css and with some custom functions with Platform pro, so I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to buy a child theme. On the other if I use Base I can always make into a theme and sell it on your store (although I might not have the right license to do that).

kastelic
Sorry, my bad on the child them location. To be clear, go to Pagelines -> Store -> Plugins -> Top Free -> Pagelines Customize.

anlinares
Just downloaded 2.0 and want to make sure I'm doing this right before I get started.... Once we have activated the 'Pagelines Customize' plugin, can we make changes to the standard style.css like we would using a base/child theme or do we now need to be making these changes elsewhere?

Rob
You can edit them in the style.css that comes with the PageLines Customize plugin. Make sure the file located in wp-content/plugins/pagelines-customize is CHMODed to 777 to make it writable from the Plugins > Editor.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur