Sign in to follow this  
ryanjohnjackson

Can carousel pull dynamic items from an external link?

ryanjohnjackson

Hi, We're trying to add some functionality to our page that another library is using: http://www.chappaqualibrary.org/ They have that book scroll area and I was thinking we could somehow use carousel to do that? Is it through that "hook" thing placed into functions.php of the child theme? If so any tips/help? If not recommend a plug-in? We have a demo of some of our starter work tomorrow. I'd like to show them we can do what the "richer" library can do but with wordpress/pagelines. Thanks ;)

kastelic
What you are seeing on the library page is a Joomla extension called Yoo Scroller. You wouldn't be able to get the Carousel feature to behave exactly like that, although there may be a Wordpress plugin that is similar. You could achieve a similar effect with CSS as well: [code] .scrollbox{ width:500px; height:250px; overflow: scroll; } [/code]

ryanjohnjackson
Kastelic, Thanks. I saw the yoo scroller script and I was able to figure out that it is a part of moo tools that they just repackaged and charged for. We're able to take it as is for our current site but I want our future site to use as much pagelines as we can. My main issue is almost all of these plugins pull from your own site. But it seems like it wouldn't be crazy hard to get them to pull from an external line. We subscribe to the same "link" that they subscribe to for those lists. We just want something like that. I thought the "pagelines_carousel_list" hook could be messed with in functions to pull from an external URL? I did find a lot of plugins but nothing by default gives that as an easy option. I'll have to try your example later today. I'm also not having the easiest time putting javascript into a content area? or is that no good? I linked the script in the custom header section but the "call" from the script seems to just sit in the background and do nothing. Thank you

kastelic
[quote]I thought the "pagelines_carousel_list" hook could be messed with in functions to pull from an external URL?[/quote] Yes, i have been assuming the same thing, although I haven't tried this yet. [quote]I'm also not having the easiest time putting javascript into a content area? or is that no good? I linked the script in the custom header section but the "call" from the script seems to just sit in the background and do nothing.[/quote] Could we see a specific example on your page? If you are using jQuery plugins, many times you have to modify them to be in compatability mode.