Sign in to follow this  
cybersphere

Platform 1.5.x to 2.0 Upgrade Procedure

cybersphere

Hi, Congrats on 2.0 release. I read the 2.0 Tour page and it looks fair bit different. I do want to install and have a play but I just wanted to take some pre-caution. I have visited the support doc wiki page on migrating to 2.0 but the content seems to be an intro and does not show what to do to migrate (http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/index.php?title=What_to_Expect_when_moving_from_PlatformPro_1.5_to_PageLines_2.0). To upgrade from 1.5.x to 2.0 is simple as installing the 2.0 theme to WordPress (under say, 'platform2') and activating the new theme? Or is it more involved then that? I understand that 2.0 default settings on some sections or pages will be different so the look may not be exactly how I remember 1.5.x and I need to further tweak 2.0 to make it look exactly like how it use to be but I just wanted to know the step-by-step upgrade process. I should mention that I am not running bbPress, nor BuddyPress, and no php files have been modified. Does it matter whether I deactivate Plug-ins first or not? Any other tips for smooth upgrade? Thanks! Paul

Kate
Hey there Paul, As mentioned in that post, it's important to [i]always[/i] backup your database before you make major changes, including one like this. So, make sure you do that first. After that, all you have to do is install it like a regular theme and activate it! Let us know how it goes!

cybersphere
As no formal documentation exists so I though I will share my experience upgrading. As Kate mentioned, it was as simple as installing a new theme (Pagelines 2.0) via WP-Admin > Themes > 'Install Themes' tab and upload and activate. Really, it is that simple! The end result is not 100% and be prepared to make a lot of tweaks to bring it back to looking like the way it did before the upgrade. But that is another topic on another post. I just manage to go through the entire WP and PlatformPro menu options and just started adjusting so my opinion may change later but my first impression is that many options are now adjustable at "page level", rather then at "site level". For example, you can set the height of the Feature slides from default 330px on one page and higher or lower on another page. Cool! I am yet unsure if there are bugs or I have not yet learned to 'drive' the 2.0 but there are some unexpected issues I need to iron out.

cybersphere
If anyone is interested, I have posted additional issues I have had with Pagelines 2.0 here: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/15732/menu-unadjustable-once-upgraded-to-pagelines-2.0-also-feature-on-039blog-page039-misbehaving.#Item_2