Sign in to follow this  
rweiss

right align primary nav

rweiss

I have tried numerous attempts to get the main menu to right align. Every suggestion in the forum has been completely ignored when I put the code in platform base style.css. When I use firebug I get the same - no changes make the menu float right. What is the secret? How do I get this menu to align to the right?

kastelic
Can we see a link to your site, because it probably depends on the configuration of your menu, eg, using the Brandnav or the Navigation section.

rweiss
The site is at http://peterlaw-artist.com At this point there hasn't been much configuration done, other than using the basic platformpro / platformbase install and using a feature page as the home page.

Rob
First, with PlatformBase activated, your customization of the menu should be done in Dashboard > PlatformPro > Custom Code in CSS Rules. You really shouldn't be editing style.css. The reason is that future editing in CSS Rules would potentially overwrite the customization in style.css. Do you have Firebug for Firefox? [url="http://www.getfirebug.com"]getfirebug.com[/url] The proper div or class would be found easily with that tool. If you prefer using Chrome, I believe that has a built in element inspection tool.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

rweiss
I have used Firebug, and tried every css change I could find to get things to align right and nothing changes. My understanding is that you use the style.css in base for precisely the reason you mentioned. So that updates to pro will not effect what changes to the style we make. Am I wrong?

Rob
I'm sorry, to be clear when CSS is added to CSS Rules it is written to the database. Thus it is not affected by any updates. I wasn't referring to updates of PlatformPro, but some future edits you may make in CSS Rules. Should you add code there later, if it conflicts with something you add to style.css, the Custom Code CSS Rules will overrules the style.css file. It won't delete it, but it could change your style's effect. Since you have Firebug, I'm sure you've seen some CSS elements with strikeout text. That happens when one CSS file overrules another. I'm not a CSS expert, but I think it's [code]#primary-nav ul.main-nav[/code] that you need.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

rweiss
I tried this one and every other ID and class css item that Firebug displays around the menu, and not a single one will move this bugger to the right. In twentyeleven you simply tell the menu ul to float: right and it goes. But this one will not budge. So, I am still looking for an answer. I must say I really don't like having to say I reject an answer - which seems so negative. But if I accept, then the discussion gets marked as answered - and that is not the case.

catrina
You may want to try this CSS to move the navigation further to the right and then adjust its width so that it's not too wide: [code]#primary-nav {margin-left: 400px;}[/code]

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

rweiss
Yes, that works. Odd that we can't just float: right. But this will at least satisfy them that I am keeping to the designers specs. It just means that I will need to adjust the number as the menu grows. BUt, better than spending hours trying to figure out why I can't just align the thing to the right. Thanks Catrina.