Sign in to follow this  
israelgenealogy

BuddyPress won't Re-Install

israelgenealogy

I originally tried to install BuddyPress under Platform, but ran into trouble. This might have been because I didn't know at the time about the BP Template Pack plug-in. In any case, I removed BP (deactivated it, deleted it, removed the BP database tables) and decided to wait until later. I've since installed PlatformPro and decided to try again. I installed BP and BP Template Pack, but something odd happened. BP didn't run its install wizard when it was activated, instead showing that pages were missing links, as if it still had some remnant of the old install there (how that is possible I have no idea). Without running the install wizard I have no generated pages or database tables, so no BP. Any idea what happened here? or how to run the install wizard manually? Thanks.

Kate
Have you done any other changes to your theme? If not, it may be easier to just do a fresh install (of WP, PP, and BP).

Rob
Okay, you're gonna think this is a leap, but I suggest scrapping BP and getting VanillaForums which is this one. You get it by visiting http://www.vanillaforums.org and using the download option. It's free and integrates easily into PlatformPro. Why? First, it's likely BP has integrated itself into some of your WP settings in the database. Finding them could be painful. When I tried this myself, I literally had to wipe the entire DB clean starting, as Kate said, with a totally clean slate. Weeks of work were totally wasted. Ultimately, I found that Vanilla is better. There is also a paid version, but that's not what you'll want. You need the one that simply says to download it. http://vanillaforums.org/download Don't "See Plans and Pricing". Just add your info on that page and you'll get a zip file. Simple as pie and good documentation.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

israelgenealogy
Can VanillaForums do groups and user-to-user communications? I am looking for something that can facilities users who are interested in different topics to communicate and share amongst themselves.

catrina
I'm not sure if Vanilla can do that, but you can check out the website for more info: http://vanillaforums.com/features

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

yemoonyah
No, it can't. And I find it a bit frustrating that people here try to convince everyone to switch to Vanilla Forums although they clearly have different functionalities. Please make BuddyPress compatible again as soon as possible!

Jenny
Vanilla can do user-to-user. This forum is Vanilla forum and you can most certainly send a message to someone else. You can also see the activity of people, just like BuddyPress. It's been stated many many times here on the forum that our developers are working with BuddyPress developers for a solution. Just hang tight. :) I'm not an advocate for either, and I don't use either with Wordpress, just sharing my thoughts.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Rob
@israelgenealogy - Buddypress is very difficult to reinstall under the best of circumstances because it writes many tables separately to the database. Many of these contain data which includes specific paths and URLs so that when a reinstall is performed, the new installation finds conflicts with the existing tables. If I may suggest, please back up your database directly from a tool like phpMyAdmin, then delete the tables for Buddypress. You can then install Buddypress cleanly with little or no difficulty. However, afterwards, if you had lots of content in your forums, you'll have to do some pretty heavy lifting to get your old data back into the forums you've recreated. Importing the previous files from the backup can sometimes fail, so it's sometimes best to manually add each topic back. This is one of the reasons why I've been recommending Vanilla. There is, by the way, a groups plugin for Vanilla, however, it doesn't work and the developer of that plugin is not supporting it any longer. I recently wrote to him and his response was that I could personally hire him to create a groups solution, but that didn't seem logical if it wasn't going to be supported. I'm sure you'd feel the same (as would anyone). Personally, I do like what Buddypress has to offer, and its social networking options. Whether free or paid, it seemed to be the very best of the bunch, but, it doesn't use the same system as we do since their upgrades and some of ours (to PlatformPro 1.5x). We are endeavoring to work with their developers to create an integration for both Buddypress and bbPress. Jenny is, as usual, correct that you can have direct communication between members in Vanilla.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur