Sign in to follow this  
cybersphere

Fine tuning PageLines Banners - Display shorten banner & 'Post Types Order' plugin NOT working.

cybersphere

Hi, I have incorporated BANNER in a website. Unfortunately, I am stuck on couple of issues. 1/ I am using Banner to create a 'Staff' Directory with their photos on the left and their profiles next to them. As often the case, profile text is longer (several paragraphs to a page long) than the height of a staff photograph. At least on the 'Staff Dir' page, I would like the profile text to be LIMITED to the height of the photograph and finish off with 'More Info' link at the bottom of each profile summaries to a full page profile of each staff. It appears Banner was not designed for this as even the tutorial video on http://www.pagelines.com/docs/banners shows 'Banner #2' appearing longer than the height of the image. Is there a way to do this easily? Maybe it is a PageLines v2 feature. If it is, please tell me and I can wait a few days. 2/ I have installed the plug-in, "Post Types Order" v 1.5.1 by NSP Code as instructed in the tutorial video and I do see the Banners > Re-Order in the menu and I do see the drag 'n' drop boxes corresponding to each of my banners in the correct banner set and I am able to re-order in the MENU but even after I press [update] button to save the new order, when I refresh the Staff page (with banner), banner entries appear in the opposite order to how they were created (that is, chronological order with newest banner appearing at the top). My WordPress is the latest v3.2.1. I have only just downloaded Platform Pro theme a week ago so it would be the latest also. Is anyone else having an issue with 'Post Types Order' plug-in NOT working? Thanks for reading my question!

Danny
Hi Cybersphere, 1. There is actually a "Profiles Section" in PageLines 2.0, which will most likely be able to help you better than banners! 2. This may be caused by another plug-in, I would recommend disabling all other activate plug-ins and try again, if this wasn't caused by a plug-in please let us know.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Rob
Just out of curiosity, had you given thought to simply creating posts for your staff with a thumbnail and an individual page for each in a category for 'staff-directory'? I basically do that in a few of my sites for management, board of directors and even for writers. Works like a charm.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

cybersphere
Hi Danny, thanks for the heads-up on PageLines v2.0. I guess I can wait for that, if Rangelone's method does not work for me for some unknown reason. Only other plug-in that is active is 'cforms II' v12.2 (latest), as recommended by PageLines so... yes, I would appreciate it if you could look in to it. Hi Rangelone, I would love to try your method. Okay... so let me see if I got this right. 1/ Create a 'Category' call, 'staff-directory' 2/ Create individual 'Pages' (you did mean, 'Pages', not 'Posts'?) for each of the staff members and choose 'staff-directory' as the category. 3/ Create a page based on category search for 'staff-directory' and make that the 'Staff' page. Is that right? Only concern I have is, how will it look? I feel that any category searched page might display too much info on the directory page (not the 'full individual page). Would you have a site you did using the above method for a quick look 'n' see? I really want 'summary' profile for each staff to only take up about 1.5" (height for slim look) on screen, not 2" to 3" per person. Thanks guys! Appreciate you guys taking the time to post a reply for me. Paul

Kate
Hey Paul, Actually, only Posts use categories. For a similar effect with [i]Pages[/i], you could create a parent page with sub-pages. But, that would take more modifying when it comes to displaying it.

Rob
Kate's correct. I did mean you create posts for each individual, and a page on which you can list the posts using a plugin called Special Recent Posts. This will show the posts in that category specifically, complete with thumbnail if you tell it to, using a shortcode on the page. You can organize them by lowest ranking person first to highest ranking last. Since the posts are being called by the plugin it won't matter if they archive later in a regular blog page. They will always stay on that static page.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

cybersphere
Thank you Kate for your reply and Rangelone for the plugin tip. It is good to hear a way around. Since the launch of Pagelines v2 is only 2 days away, I might wait and try Danny's 'Profiles Section' and see how that goes. Thank you!

cybersphere
I have learned that 'Profile' is an optional component priced at US$14.99.

virplay
cybersphere, I was planning to get "profile" for my blog too but the price is LOL :D