Sign in to follow this  
fshequin

Child Themes overiding core sections

fshequin

Greetings, I'm new to platform pro and child theming with platform pro and am trying to overide the section.features.php file from the core theme in my child theme...my child theme is called "platform base" (default). I followed the documentation exactly and created a file in the root of the child theme folder called "template.features.php", copied the code exactly from the core file /sections/features/section.features.php, added a comment in the jquery cycle setup area /*fred*/ at the beginning of the script to prove out the override before modifying...but the template.features.php file is not being read into the header script as I expected... Any help is much appreciated...and if I'm not following the instructions properly please tell me where the instructions are not accurate...as I followed them exactly with no results. Any help is much appreciated! Kind Regards, Fred Shequine

catrina
You can simply make a copy of that file (template.features.php) and paste it into the platformbase sections folder rather than create a new file and copy the file's contents into it.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

fshequin
Thanks Cat, First off there is no file called "template.features.php" the core file is called "section.features.php". I've tried that and no joy! doesn't read the features code from that location...only way I can successfully mod the features section file is directly in the core theme folder where that page resides....I've tried every possible combination of locating that file in various places that are suggested and various names that are suggested...from this forum and from the documentation. Also: I've never understood why the documentation isn't clear about the following: core file is called "section.features.php" the override instructions say use the content of the above file in a file called: "template.features.php" located in root of child theme.

Kate
Hello @fshequin, [quote]the override instructions say use the content of the above file in a file called: "template.features.php" located in root of child theme.[/quote] - The section override instructions? Or the Feature Template override instructions? To recap: you've tried section.features.php in: /base and /base/sections Is that correct?