Sign in to follow this  
slingr

Will Platform Pro 2.0 play nice with existing 1.5x designs?

slingr

Not to sound too skeptical, but: 1. Have Pagelines developers adequately tested the well-hyped 2.0 release to verify and validate that 2.0 is backward compatible to previous Platform Pro releases? 2. In other words, should we blindly upgrade all existing 1.5x installations with 2.0, or should we treat 2.0 as essentially a new product and continue to maintain 1.5.3? 3. Will Pagelines continue to support 1.5x? (e.g., separate maintenance releases, separate Forum support, etc.) 4. And will there also be a new PP Base child theme released with 2.0, or will 2.0 use the existing Base child theme?

Simon
To answer your questions. 1. We have tried to make 2.0 import 1.5.x settings, a lot has changed but most things are imported. 2. Old settings are not lost, you can switch between themes. 3. We will probably do a maintenance release soon fixing a few minor bugs and keep it up to date with WordPress releases. 4. No 2.0 uses a different system. There is a customization plugin that contains the functions.php and style.css like the base child theme for 1.5.x We did this because Wordpress does not support grandchild themes and probably never will.

slingr
Thanks, Simon. So to confirm, once 2.0 is released, the upgrade path would include: a. install PP 2.0 b. keep PlatformBase 1.4.1 as the active theme c. install and activate a to-be-provided customization plugin Is that correct, or are you saying the customization plugin actually replaces the base child theme?

Simon
Yes that is what i am saying. platformbase is linked, in the code to platformpro, it will not work at all with 2.0 We have a seperate plugin for that and the file structure is the same inside the plugin.

slingr
Thanks. I hope you guys are anticipating how confusing this could be and have prepared customer-friendly documentation for the implementation.

Simon
We had 2 options, if we kept the base child theme, you would not be able to download child themes from the store like iblog5, you wouldnt be able to activate them! So we used a plugin instead, so you never have to edit any theme files and can happily update them.

slingr
Now I'm confused ... what does iBlog5 (replacing iBlogPro4?) have to do with Platform Pro? It was my understanding that each of the actual themes (iBlog, Station, WhiteHouse, Eco) were standalone and NOT "child themes" of Platform Pro ... Platform Pro is like a framework, not a theme, so the only "child theme" of PP is PlatformBase. Or are you changing all that and making the "themes" now actual child themes of PP? I guess, Simon, rather than tie you up on the Forum here, let me just ask ... is all this already documented someplace on the Pagelines site and I've just missed it? Thanks.

Simon
Framework 2.0 has a store, you can purchase child themes, sections and plugins through that store. Iblogpro5 is a childtheme for 2.0, it is not part of PlatformPro or a child theme for PlatformPro. Iblogpro4 is a standalone theme, Iblogpro5 is a child theme for framework 2.0, the other themes will also be ported to 2.0 soon after launch.

lburns
It is all very confusing and wish there was documentation on this. So with all that has been said in this thread, if we currently are using Platformbase for our site, then we need to install the customization plugin in order to use 2.0 or install the child themes specifically made for 2.0 (which is starting over)? We can keep Platform Pro and Platformbase deactivated with no problem? I also don't see where you can install the plugin...there isn't a download button on the store. Thanks -

Simon
The store to install in your wordpress admin, under pageline/store

lburns
Thanks. Can you tell me which is preferable to use, the base child theme from the store or the customization plug-in?...especially when it comes time to upgrade the 2.0 framework? Does it matter?

Jenny
I wouldn't really say one is preferred over the other, but I am using the PageLines Customize plugin on my 2.0 install. :)

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

slingr
@lburns, based on your comments I would say the right answer for you, as I've determined it to be for me, is the Pagelines Customize plugin. I say this because that's what is mentioned in the wiki on two different pages: http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Use_the_Pagelines_Customize_Plugin and http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Use_the_Custom_Code_Settings It's confusing because here again Pagelines threw us another curve ball ... we got all conditioned to Platform Pro with the PlatformBase child theme, that we (meaning paying customers) would have reasonably expected the same approach with Pagelines Framework. Except that's not the case. As I understand it, the only reason to use the Pagelines Base theme is if you want to DEVELOP other child themes. So IF you're a user, not a DEVELOPER, my understanding is that you: 1. Install and activate Pagelines Framework. 2. In the WP Dashboard, go to Pagelines|Store. 3. Go to Plugins, then Add Plugins. 4. Click on Top Free. 5. Click to install Pagelines Customize. Now to add custom code, rather than using the Custom Code tab under Pagelines Settings (as we were conditioned to do with Platform Pro, which is now frowned upon in this establishment), you should: 6. Go to Plugins|Editor from your Dashboard panel. 7. In the upper right "Select plugin to edit" dropdown menu, select Pagelines Customize. 8. In the right column immediately below the dropdown, select pagelines-customize/style.css. 9. Now you'll see the style.css file that's part of the Pagelines Customize plugin appear in the editing window and you can add your custome code just like you were previously conditioned to do with the Platform Pro Custom Code tab, which as I said, is now frowned on in this establishment. Actually, the wiki page referenced above does a pretty good job of explaining steps 1-5 (although it fails to address your question ... the plugin or the Base child theme?) but it fails to address steps 6-9.

Danny
You're spot on Slingr, however it's not really a PageLines curve ball. The simple explanation is that, it's a Wordpress limitation. Wordpress doesn't support Grandchild themes and that's the reason for the PageLines Customise plug-in. If you don't plan on creating a child theme and then uploading it to the PageLines Store then you're more than welcome to use the Base child to customise like you did with Platform Base.

Please search our forums, before posting!

msaizan
ok. i have got a multi site install...so if I am understanding this correctly any custom changes i make via the edit Pagelines Customize plugin method are going to reflect globally across every blog and website across the whole network - .because the problem here is that on a multi site install there is NO edit plugin feature on a per site basis - whether you network activate or activate the plugin on a per site basis - no way to edit any plugins on a per site basis. And on a multi site network in many cases the whole idea is that each individual site has it's own look and feel- So if I don't want the changes to be global across every site on the network - I should use the child theme method instead? Is this correct? Thanks in advance for feedback/direction on this!

Simon
@msaizan you would still need a child theme for every site install. Multisite is a bit of a problem, does not matter if its a child theme of costom plugin, it has to be per-site, also your site admins are not allowed to edit these files anyway, unless you give all of them an FTP account.

kashanti
Ok at the risk of sounding stupid, I discovered that I have pagelines 2.0 upgrade, I just never knew I had access to it. Now its in my theme, but I have not activated it yet. Please explain, like I'm a two yr old--cause I am--if this is correct. I install the framework, and activate? And then I install and activate the Platform ProBASE-custimization theme? Is that right? But the Platform pro theme 1.5 I dont touch that at all. Dont need it with the upgrade right?

Jenny
This thread may come in handy: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/15909/how-to-install-pagelines-2.0 Base has nothing to do with PageLines Framework, so no, do not activate that.

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

jjagerson
We relied heavily on the styling in the Platform theme. Since upgrading to the 2.0 framework that's all lost. We don't want to switch themes. Are you going to create a Platform Theme anytime soon? I see you have an iBlogPro theme available but not Platform Pro, is that correct?

jjagerson
I am. I'm in PageLines -> store -> themes -> add themes. Looking at the "premium" tab I see iBlogPro5, Orbit, Ignite and Dark Diamond. On the "free" tab I see the Base theme. I don't see PlatformPro. Am I just missing it or looking in the wrong spot?

catrina
My apologies for the previous answer, but PlatformPro exists (just not for PageLines Framework since it's a separate product).

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

Jenny
@jjagerson Since PageLines Framework is essentially the "new and improved" version of PlatformPro, I highly doubt they will be making a child theme for it. However, you can look to the Store for additional ways to customize your site. New products are being added all the time.

rapsgatan25
Wondering how such a beautifully clean, crisp and clinical web tool can have such a confusing assortment of upgrade, install and support tools running in the background. Whenever I come to these forums looking for advice or (as now) advice on how or whether to upgrade I scroll up and down with mounting desperation and fear until I give up in a damp sweat. Clarity please someone!