Sign in to follow this  
rubyhaus

Multiple Unique Sidebars w/ Unique Recents and Archives Per Category

rubyhaus

Without going into a template php page itself... is there a way to specify for each category there own sidebar with recent posts and archives unique only to that category instead of global for all?? On www.jonnyb.org I'm trying to get on my blog page, my videos page, and my news page... 3 separate sidebars populating only that Categories recent posts and archives NOT all posts and all categories. Is this possible without going into PHP world? I can if I have too. Didn't know if Platform Pro was capable out of the box to do this task. Thanks in advance!!

ronstahl
Yes. If your using the same type of page for each such as your default template, Activate each bar universally in the drag and drop template section of the Pagelines settings area then goto each individual page and click to hide the bars you don't want to show. On each page there are options down the right side of the page with check boxes to hide the sections you don't want to show when you're editing any given page. I hope that helps.

Rob
I'm not sure you need separate sidebars as much as you need one sidebar with different things showing for different categories. Is this correct? If it is, then you need a very easy to use plugin called "Widget Logic". Once installed, when you drag a widget into the sidebar, and use some standard code for the category, with the category ID (slug) and once saved you will only see that widget on that category and no-where else. As for the category's recent posts, similarly a plugin called "Special Recent Posts" allows you to add any number of shortcode options to format a list as you wish, with or without thumbnails, based on the category the posts are in.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

rubyhaus
rangelone This is pretty stinking neat. It's really close to what I'm looking for. I got it working so far with the Titles at least showing up per category page your on. But however.... I can't figure out the php hooks or calls to tell it to only show that categorys posts or archives. For i.e. BLOG page should only have 1 Recent Post and 1 Archive. VIDEOS page should have at most 5 Recent Posts and Tons of Archives NEWS page should have 5 Recent Posts and at least 1/2 the amount of Archives as Videos does. But currently it still shows all posts and all archives and just changes out the titles. I know in reality it is changing out the widget which is perfect!! I tried the "wp_reset_query" fix as well. No go. I can't figure out the "Widget Logic" for those. I'm trying this: Widget#1 Recent Blog Posts is_category('blog') || (is_single() && in_category('blog')) Widget#2 Blog Archives is_category('blog') || (is_single() && in_category('blog')) Widget#3 Recent News Posts is_category('news') || (is_single() && in_category('news')) Widget#4 News Archives is_category('news') || (is_single() && in_category('news')) Widget#5 Recent Video Posts is_category('videos') || (is_single() && in_category('videos')) Widget#6 Video Archives is_category('videos') || (is_single() && in_category('videos')) Thanks for the responses!!

Rob
Did you check the options at http://codex.wordpress.org/Conditional_Tags ?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur