Sign in to follow this  
tpellicer

Remove Base sidebar on blog page

tpellicer

Hello, I am a newbie to PageLines. I am trying to remove the base sidebar from my blog page, but I want to keep the main sidebar displayed on the main blog page as well as on the post pages. I tried looking in the Template setup, but there was no way to hide just the base sidebar, I also went into the "page" labeled Blog and it says I need to edit in the settings panel. Is the setting panel the Template Setup? I also went to Blog and Posts and did not see a spot to change widgets. Please advise, thank you so much! http://thomaspellicer.com/blog/ Thomas

Rob
Thomas, My first question is where is this base sidebar located on your site? What's in the "base sidebar"? When you're looking for the settings on the page, did you see "PageLines Section Control"? If not, did you try going to "Screen Options", clicking the grey box, then finding the "Base" sidebar. I don't think you're actually using the base sidebar from the look of your site. But if you can find it, let us know where it is. We can then assist you better to remove that sidebar.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

tpellicer
Hi Thank you for your response The base sidebar is actually starts below the Archive widget. So Social (icons) and Twitter feed. I had to create a base sidebar so I can just have those two widgets on my homepage (per recommendation from a moderator here on the forum). Then for the blog I wanted to have Ads, Categories and Archive displayed on all blog pages. Here is my edit page, the screen options does have Pagelines Section Control checked.[url]http://thomaspellicer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Screen-Shot-2011-12-02-at-4.02.52-PM.png[/url] Thank you Thomas

Jenny
Hi Thomas. You should be able to hide/show whichever sections you want on the actual pages. So visit your blog page edit screen and look at the show/hide settings on the right side of the page. Hopefully that helps.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

tpellicer
Hello Simple Mama Yeah usually I see those options on the PageLines Section Control, but for some reason there is no options available to me on the "Blog" page, it's weird? It says I need to edit in "Settings Panel"???

Jenny
Did you create a custom page for your blog posts? Meaning, not just a dynamic wordpress page. If you did, then click "screen options" at the top of the page to make sure you didn't hide the section by mistake.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

tpellicer
Good question, I think it may be just the dynamic WP page? Do you recommend making a custom page instead?

tpellicer
Hi Catrina, Ok I tried making a custom page "Blog" but now how do I point my blog to show up on that custom page, sorry newbie here. And then how do I control the blog page through Platform Pro settings "Blogs and Posts" as a custom page? Thanks

Rob
In WordPress, if you create a "blog" page, leaving the content area blank, and save it that way (with any sidebar options you want, and the template you wish selected, you can then go to [b]Dashboard > Settings > Reading[/b] (look on the bottom, left grey panel of your Dashboard) and you'll see "A static page (select below)." Make sure that option is selected. On the second drop down option, select the blog page you created. It will appear in a list of all your pages in that drop down. Save your settings. Now, go to your menu - [b]Dashboard > Appearance > Menus[/b] and make sure that "Blog" is in the menu. View the page. Your posts will be listed there automagically.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

tpellicer
Rangelone, Thank you so much for your suggestion, I can see how it should work now. BUT for some weird reason every time I create a new "Blog" page or even a "test" page then follow your instructions, the page reverts back to a page where I can NOT change any of pageline section control in the right column while on the edit page (see screenshot on earlier post). Even though when I initially setup the "test" page it gave me the option to select what I want in pageline section control???? Breakdown: 1. Home page www.thomaspellicer.com is using a "base sidebar" to show the Social and Twitter widget only = what I want. 2. www.thomaspellicer.com/test is showing my "blog" page with the base sidebar showing below the Main Sidebar = not what I want. I followed your instructions on 3 different "test" pages all with the same result. 3. www.thomaspellicer.com/test2 - located on Nav bar - this is what I want the sidebar to actually look like while on my blog pages only. All my regular pages will just be using base sidebar as I don't need ads, categories and archives showing up on those pages. Any suggestions or advice on a better way to do this would be so MUCH appreciated. Thank you! Thomas

catrina
The easiest workaround I can think of for hiding the base sidebar in your test "blog" page is custom CSS. Try adding this CSS in Custom Code > Custom CSS and viewing your test page: [code]body.blog div#sidebar_base {display: none;}[/code]

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

tpellicer
LOL if I can easily figure out a way to add a Google + social icon along with the standard set of Social Icons that rest above the Search function that would help me eliminate the Social Icon widget. Does anyone know if that will be includes in 2.0?

catrina
There is a way to add those social icons with a hook. CSS can be used to position them above the Search function. Also, there will be a way to add a Google+ social icon and other social icons.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

tpellicer
Catrina you rock!!! Thank you so much, that worked! I wish I new css. Thank you all for the help!

tpellicer
LOL Catrina wish I knew how to do that. Perhaps once I get my site setup properly.

catrina
For more info on hooks, please see here: http://www.pagelines.com/docs/base-child-theme :)

Designer | Catrina Dulay

tpellicer
Awesome I will have to take a look. Thank you!