Sign in to follow this  
amirbkhan

footer styling is messed up after site import

Danny
That is rather an odd error, may I ask how you migrated please ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

amirbkhan
Yes of course. (amazingly quick response!) I first used the WP export option from tools I also then copied my entire wp-content folder on the new wp site I renamed the wp-content folder and then copied my exported one then used the WP import the xml file I had exported finally I used the search and replace plugin tool to find and replace the old url with a new one. thats pretty much it. most of the stuff seems to be copied well. except of a handful of things. this being 1 of them. I basically comparing the same page between the 2 sites using firebug and I do notice that on the original site there is a css reference to common.css which is not appearing on the new site. however common.css is identical on both servers. hope you can help

amirbkhan
oh yes I also exported and imported the pagelines settings from the dashboard interface. This was the last thing that I did as migration step.

Danny
I think the copying of the wp-content folder and then renaming it may be the cause of the issue. As a test would it be possible for you to create a test site and do the following: 1. Using the Wordpress Export tool, export all you content into the xml file.(from the site that doesnt have the issue) 2. Export your PageLines themes settings (located at the very bottom of your themes settings panel)(from the site that doesnt have the issue) 3. On your test site, can you then use the Wordpress Import tool (xml file) to import your content. 4. Then import your PageLines theme settings. Now view your test site and see if the problem still exists, once you have done this, can you reply to this post and inform us of the result please.

amirbkhan
Ok. missing some steps On step 2. after try to import the worpress export I get a bunch of failed to export messages. Failed to import box-sets default-boxes Failed to import feature-sets default-features Failed to import box-sets homepage Failed to import box-sets masterclasses Failed to import box-sets partners Failed to import feature-sets pp-features Failed to import feature-sets sample-features Failed to import box-sets traits Failed to import Media ???Productivity-Partners-logo.bmp??? Failed to import Media ???cropped-Productivity-Partners-logo.jpg??? Failed to import Media ???PPartners-Wordpress-Header-Image.jpg??? Failed to import Media ???PageLines- PPartnersWordpressHeaderImage.jpg??? Failed to import Media ???PageLines- pp_favicon_16_16.png??? Failed to import Media ???PageLines- BodyBG.gif??? Failed to import Media ???PageLines- nike_bg_1920x1200.jpg??? Failed to import Media ???PageLines- pp_logo_favicon.PNG??? Failed to import Media ???PageLines- pp_logo_normal.jpg??? Failed to import Media ???PageLines- masterclass_logo.gif??? Failed to import Media ???PageLines- team_clinic_logo.png??? Failed to import Media ???PageLines- badge-red.png??? Failed to import Media ???PageLines- analze.png??? Failed to import Media ???client-logos??? Failed to import Media ???PageLines- office_folders.png??? Failed to import Media ???PageLines- light_bulb.png??? Failed to import Media ???PageLines- paint.png??? Failed to import Media ???PageLines- lock.png??? Failed to import Media ???PageLines- sun.png??? which makes sense to me because platform pro isnt installed. do I need to install a new copy platform pro first?

amirbkhan
well I just installed the platformpro and platformbase themes and then tried an import of the old site (step 2) but still get failed to import messages. of course at this stage I'm still missing 12 key plugins that do not exist on this new site...

amirbkhan
after recopying the 12 plugins and re-importing. the site looks fine. this was a cleaner migration approach. thanks

robbie_francisco
I'm curious whether and how the above would help me. My web hosting company did the behind-the-scenes work for me to make the site live. However on certain category pages the background colour in the footer disappears and the sidebar widgets go awry: http://www.mhdt.org.uk/activities/youngpeople Whereas on another category page it looks fine: http://www.mhdt.org.uk/activities/inter-generational I'd really appreciate some ideas as a non-techie person who's fast having to learn - I'm a bit wary of rummaging around in the files on the server! Thanks very much..

Danny
@Robbie_robbie_francisco - Would it be possible for you to create a new posts please, this topic has no relation to your issue as far as I can see.

robbie_francisco
@Danny - sorry - will do - thought it was relevant to the topic - ie footer styling not looking as it should after site migration!

Danny
@robbie_francisco Oh I'm sorry, I didn't think you migrated, I apologise. Then there is no need to create a new questions, simply use this one. After looking at your site, there is definitely an error somewhere. On the pages where your footer has no color, the sidebar is positioned in the middle of the page and not on the right hand side. The first I would do is contact your host, who you say handled the migration for you and ask them what they did. Inform them of the error on the footer and sidebar position and let us know what they say.