Sign in to follow this  
cornell2

Single Soapbox, or other box

cornell2

I know, it sounds a little dumb, but I'd like to be able to display just a single box (or soapbox) on a page. This implies that I want ONE column, ONE box. The dropdown for "Box Columns" starts with a 2. For a page formatted with Soapbox(es), has a field "Enter max number of soapboxes" and even if I enter "1", it displays at least 2. (and 2 columns). I am not looking for alternatives (I understand I can indeed merely paste the content into a standard page). I have my reasons: I want to display a single box on a page that uses the "box page" template. One column, one box. Perhaps there is some CSS that will override the "2" limit and trick Pagelines (platform pro) into formatting with 1 column (spanning the content area)? On a similar note: is there a painless way to try to format 3 boxes as such: first two boxes on the first row, 2 columns, and the third box underneath (second column) spanning the width of the columns? I've done something like this with very very specific, custom CSS ... but was wondering if there was a more automatic way of doing it. The custom CSS for this sort of thing is rather fragile, and if I make any kind of layout changes, it breaks this custom layout. Insights? Thanks!

Rob
Try this plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/boxer/ It creates boxes using shortcodes. You get much more control and should be able to do one box, one column.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

cornell2
Interesting. I will check it out ... but will this plugin work with the boxes I've already created (platform pro special post type-boxes)? If not, then it would not exactly serve my purposes. But the plugin looks interesting nonetheless.

Danny
Hi Cornell, Give the plugin a try, it should work. If it doesn't work how you like, we can try something else.

Please search our forums, before posting!

cornell2
I gave the plugin a try ... while it looks interesting - I could not really get it to work right with Pagelines (and I suspect that, even if I did, it's not going to do what I want). Right now - if I create a page with the boxer shortcode AND use the (pagelines) Box Page template - then boxer has no effect (not surprisingly) - but if I use the 'default page' (and turn off most other pageline formatting) unfortunately boxer/pagelines only displays the first box in the box-set, and the boxer formatting is pretty much ignored. Too many hours spent trying to tweak this. Honestly I could have merely created custom CSS to 'manually' position the boxes on the screem ... but I don't want to do this (aside from defeating the purpose of buying a platform, this technique really is very inflexible if I decide to make any changes to formatting - all the positioning unravels) ALL I want to do is ... [BOX SET A, BOX 1] [BOX SET A, BOX 2] [BOX SET A, BOX 3] or [BOX SET A, BOX 1] [BOX SET A, BOX 2] [ BOX SET A, BOX 3 ] or [ BOX SET A, BOX 1 ] [BOX SET A, BOX 2] [BOX SET A, BOX 3] (noting that these boxes are part of other box sets and I don't want to create copies just for specially formatted sets) understand now what I am trying to do? Hopefully this is something straightforward ...

catrina
I think we can try the custom CSS and see how it works. Does the format you want require that the width of BOX 1 and BOX 2 on the top row be resized so that they fit the width of the content?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

cornell2
sigh. I already mentioned that I know how to do this with custom CSS (and have already done so!) [img]http://metapreneurship.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Sample-Screenlayout-1.jpg[/img] - but was looking for a way to do it without! why? because the slightest changes made in other areas (layout, sidebar width etc) generally can break it badly and I then have to go back into css and poke around positioning until it is just right. The convenience of boxes-pages (or soapboxes) was that the formatting, however limited, was handled automatically by the platform.

catrina
From my knowledge I'm not sure of any other way to accomplish that format other than with custom CSS. You can contact a PageLines Pro for more assistance since it sounds like it goes beyond the scope of the forum: http://pagelines.com/pros.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

cornell2
Just so you understand - I am not trying to achieve the box layout in the screenshot (I already have done that) I am merely trying to get the boxes template/layout to display the third box (second row) centered, instead of in the first column. but I guess the box layout scheme is pretty simplistic.

Rob
"I am merely trying to get the boxes template/layout to display the third box (second row) centered, instead of in the first column. but I guess the box layout scheme is pretty simplistic." This is not the way boxes work, so to achieve this level of customization, which is outside the scope of the forum, you need one of our pros as Catrina suggested. If that's not an option, I'm not sure what you'd do because the goal you're trying to achieve is not boxes, but layers and I've not seen anyone create layers like that in WordPress.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

cornell2
Ok. I can do it via custom css. it's not that hard but of course not that flexible.